Shadow

Once when I was eleven, my two cousins and I decided to camp outside my house in this big, new tent we had recently gotten.

We were lying down in the tent, chatting and making small talk, when one of my cousins noticed a shadow of someone walking a dog.

"That's impossible," I said. "It's nearly 11:00 pm. The street is deserted." "Maybe it's your dad trying to scare us," my other cousin chimed in. But the weird thing was, that shadow looked definitely too tall to be my dad, and there were no dogs for a good distance from my house.

"Maybe we should get out and check--just to be sure."

So we did.

There was no one at all. No sign of a human, nor a dog. The street was silent as the night itself. There were no alleyways in which some prankster could duck in or anything.

The dog in the shadow looked exactly like my previous dog, Sammy. Same shape, same size, even the same curved tail. Weird.

"There's no one, guys," my cousin finally whispered. I was a bit on edge, intimidated by whatever it was that we saw.

The person in the shadow was incredibly tall, with a top hat, like those from the nineteenth century, with a strange walk, like a long stride instead of ambling along the dark sidewalk.

Never saw the shadow again. But I know he's out there, seeing me.

Suggested to me by catlover412!

Thanks for the suggestion, catlover412!!