Chapter Fifteen

"COLTON," I SAID, TRYING to sound as normal as possible, "I have some bad news."

"What's wrong?" he asked with concern in his voice.

"I-I just got sick," I lied.

"Sick? Do you need me to take you to the doctor?"

I shook my head. The last thing I need is to see you right now. "No, no, I'm sure it's fine. I have a really sensitive stomach. I must have had something earlier that upset it. But just in case I have the flu or something, I think I better stay home."

"Oh," said Colton, his voice heavy with disappointment. "It's just... You were just fine a few moments ago."

Biting my lower lip, I tried to remain calm. "Can I make it up to you tomorrow? If I'm feeling better, that is?"

"Ah, yeah. Sure. That would be great."

"I'm really sorry, Colton. I was looking forward to meeting your mom, and I know you went through a lot of trouble putting dinner together. Rain check, okay?"

"Okay."

I paused. Unsure of what to say next.

"Are you sure you don't need me to take you to the hospital?" he asked.

"Trust me, this happens from time to time. It's best just to let it pass. As long as it's not the stomach flu, I'll be good as new tomorrow."

"Okay, well... I guess just give me a call once you're up?"

"Sounds good. Sorry I don't get to see your cute dimples tonight," I added, trying to sound sincere instead of terrified.

Colton let out a chuckle. "You'll see them soon. Promise."

A chill ran up the back of my spine. "Tell your mom I'm sorry, okay?"

"Will do. Get better soon."

"Okay. Night, Colton," I said quietly.

"Goodnight, Claudia."

I dropped to the floor, pulling the file toward me. Spreading out all of the papers, I tried to absorb everything. Pictures of Colton as a teenager, including several mugshot photos. Pictures of his family. His mother had a sad smile, his father looked arrogant, Colton had a blank look, and then there was a little girl. She looked terrified. More mug shots, followed by police reports.

Tears stung my eyes. This can't be real?

I kept reading. Colton had been arrested on suspicion of killing his little sister, who died under mysterious circumstances. A short time later, he'd also been arrested for getting into a fight with someone in front of the diner where we had eaten breakfast. He had broken the man's nose, busted his lip, and broken another bone in the man's face. He was only sixteen at the time, so he wasn't charged as an adult.

My hands trembled as I read highlighted text from the court transcripts. A police officer described Colton as, "A troubled young man with a violent streak."

I carefully gathered the papers and placed them back into the file. I needed to get out of there. I need to get away from that psychopath!

Racing into the bedroom, I gathered all the clothes I had tossed on the floor and threw them into my suitcase. Next, I grabbed my toiletries from the bathroom. A few minutes later, I had everything packed. I dragged the mattress back into the bedroom and folded all the quilts and blankets we used. I shivered. I've been sharing my time with and falling for a killer. What the hell is wrong with me? How could I have been so stupid?

I quickly dialed Officer Jackson's phone number on my cell phone. "Can you please come get me? I don't feel safe here."

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

I turned down the heat and headed into the kitchen. I shoved my groceries into bags.

After placing everything by the door, I grabbed my backpack, laptop, and charger off the couch. As I looked down, my eyes landed on Colton's bag of VHS tapes. What do I do with these? I didn't want him breaking into my house or worse. Opening my backpack, I grabbed a permanent marker and a piece of paper.

Colton, I'm sorry. I had to leave. Please do not contact me.

I wrote my name underneath and stuck the note in the bag. Headlights filled the family room.

I looked around one last time to make sure I hadn't left anything. I'd never cleared out of anywhere so fast in my entire life.

Officer Jackson came to the door and helped me carry everything out to his squad car.

"Thank you," I said as I turned off the lights and locked the door behind me.

*******

Cliffhangers,

NOOOO! What just happened? What do you think is going to happen next? 0_0

Hearts and Daggers,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo