Chapter Nine

COLTON PULLED ME IN close and kissed the back of my neck, waking me up. I shuddered in delight. We hadn't slept together yet, but if we spent more nights this way, I didn't know how much longer I could hold out.

I rolled over until we were face to face. "Do we have to get up?"

"Well, unless you want the tow truck driver to find us cuddling like this, we're going to need to get up. Plus," he said, motioning to the dwindling wood pile, "we're almost out of firewood." Smiling, Colton ran his hands up and down my bare back. "But maybe I want him to find us like this."

"Well, that makes one of us," I replied, playfully pushing him away.

"Are you sure?" he asked, nuzzling my neck.

I never wanted this moment to end. But a strange noise sounded, followed by several lights turning on.

"We have power!" I jumped up and lifted my arms in celebration. "Ouch! Too soon. Too soon."

"Okay, if you're not going to come cuddle me for another few hours, I'm going to get up and get ready," he said. "Allen should be here in about twenty minutes." Colton climbed out of bed and headed toward the kitchen. "PB and J or a cheese sandwich?"

"PB and J sounds good. Thank you!"

As Colton banged around in the kitchen, I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I inspected my face in the mirror and applied the burn cream to my cheeks, which were already starting to heal.

"I'm just going to change," I shouted to Colton. "I'll be out in a few minutes."

I left the bathroom and headed to the bedroom with my suitcase. I picked out a pair of dark jeans and a dark gray, long-sleeved shirt. I headed back to the bathroom and brushed my hair before twisting it into two French braids. Not too bad, considering I hadn't had a shower in two days. I looked through my makeup bag. Hmmm. I guessed the only thing I should wear was mascara. Didn't want to irritate my skin. I carefully applied the mascara to my long, dark lashes.

"Now, that's better," I said, looking in the mirror. I almost looked like myself, minus the bruises near my nose and the scabbed skin on my cheeks.

"Hey, Claudia! Allen is here," called Colton from the other room. "Are you ready?"

I stepped out into the hallway.

"Here's your..." Colton's voice trailed off as his eyes met mine.

"What's wrong?"

"You're—you're just so beautiful," he stammered.

"Stop," I said as I reached for my jacket.

"I'm serious. You're stunning," said Colton.

I slid my jacket on and tried to keep from grinning like an idiot. "You're not so bad yourself."

Knock, knock, knock.

"Coming," shouted Colton.

He grabbed my hand and kissed the side of my head before opening the front door.

"Good to see you, Colton!" said a short man with a pot belly.

"You too, Allen."

"And who is this?" Allen asked with a confused look.

"Allen, meet Claudia. This is her family's cabin."

Allen extended his hand and shook mine. "Nice to meet you, Claudia."