chapter four | THE UNEXPECTED

Começar do início

"Should I?" Scott asked.

"When a wolf is alone and howls, he signals his location to the rest of the pack." She answered much more calmly than her partner in crime.

"So if you heard a wolf howling, that means others could've been nearby. Maybe a whole pack of them," Stiles exclaimed.

"A whole pack of wolves?"

"No, werewolves." Stiles and Nara said at the same time.

Scott sprung up. "Are you seriously wasting my time with this? You guys know I'm picking Allison up in an hour." Scott went to leave, but Stiles stopped him.

"I saw you on the field today, Scott. What you did was impossible." She retorted, discarding the paper and standing up.

"So, I made a good shot." Scott shrugged as Stiles knocked his stuff on the bed. "No, you made an incredible shot! Your speed. Your reflexes. People can't just suddenly do that overnight. And there's the vision and the senses." Stiles explained. Nara finishing it with, "and don't think we didn't notice you don't need your inhaler anymore."

"Okay, so if there was a whole pack of werewolves in the woods that night—how come Nara didn't get bit?" Nara averted her gaze as they had yet to factor her in. He had a good point.

"We don't know, yet. But right now, that's not important," Stiles answered as Scott grunted.

"I can't think about this now! We'll talk tomorrow!" He finally snapped.

"Tomorrow! What? No. The full moon's tonight, don't you get it?" Stiles, ever the unrelenting one.

"What are you trying to do? I made first line. I have a date with a girl I can't believe wants to go out with me—everything in my life is somehow perfect; why are you trying to ruin it?" Scott snapped once more. Nara flinched at his tone—nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. Stiles sat down in his seat, picking up a couple of papers.

"I'm trying to help. You're cursed, Scott. You know it's not just that the full moon will cause you to physically change. It also just so happens to be when your blood lust will be at its peak." Nara's eyes widened. Okay, none of the books she read said anything about blood lust.

"Blood lust?"

"Yeah, your urge to kill."

"I'm already feeling the urge to kill, Stiles."

"Scott!" She warned, but he just rolled his eyes. Stiles read a passage, and Nara zoned out for a minute, thinking about what Scott had said. Why didn't I get bit or even attacked? Maybe I did. Perhaps that's where all those strange marks came from, but shouldn't I be dead—or a werewolf, by now?

She was snapped back into reality when Scott pinned Stiles to the wall.

"Scott!" She shouted. He pulled back and toppled the desk chair over with an angry huff.

He stopped and looked back at Stiles, finally realizing what he had just done.

"I'm sorry—I gotta go—get ready for that-um-party." He apologized once more before leaving. Stiles stared after him grimly.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked. He nodded, picking up his desk chair, spinning it around, and staring for a good five seconds. She came to stand beside him and was greeted by three claw marks across it.

"I really hate being right," Stiles mumbled.

"No, you don't. You thrive on it." Nara replied, shaking her head. His face still looking pretty grim.

"He didn't mean it, Stiles."

"I know." He nodded; she leaned up and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.