Chapter 12

Having dispatched his surviving vassals to escort Marie to his stronghold's dungeons, Vardun stalked into the audience chamber and summoned his senior warlord.

Tall and immensely powerful,  Karzil Li was nevertheless a study in obsequiousness as he bowed deeply, while surreptitiously taking note of the absence of a sword at his master's side.  "I trust your trip was successful, my lord?"

Vardun regarded him with a cold look.  "In so much as it brought the Blade closer to my possession, then yes.  The weapon will soon make its own way to Volanda; we must prepare a suitable reception.  Double the guard around the perimeter of the building, and ensure the dungeons are secure.  At the slightest hint of any attempt at unauthorised entry, I am to be summoned immediately, day or night.  Intruders are to be met with extreme force."  Pushing back his cowl, he locked eyes with Karzil.  "Should any escape detection, I would be most...displeased."

The hulking warlord swallowed.  "I will not fail you, my lord.  May I ask, what nature of intruders are we expecting?"

"The Blade is currently in the possession of a decrepit old man and a callow youth.  They appear a most unimpressive pair, however they are not to be underestimated.  As weak and inexperienced as the boy may be, he wields the Blade, and while the ancient one may seem ready for a coffin, he is still wickedly crafty.  Be prepared for anything."

I always am, in your employ.  "We shall be, my lord."

"I sincerely hope so.  Now, what news of the uprising in the Zamar Valley?"

"I am pleased to report that it has been utterly crushed, my lord.  I received a dispatch not half an hour ago.  The ringleaders have been captured and killed, and the villages of the rebels have been put to the torch.  Resistance has been eliminated."

"All of the leaders?" asked Vardun, his expression thunderous.

"My lord?"

"Tell me, you sniveling cretin, have all of the leaders of the uprising been killed?"

Karzil's worried expression cleared, as understanding dawned.  "No, of course not, my lord.  In accordance with your instructions, the two highest ranking rebels have been kept alive.  They are bound and waiting in your...ah...your interrogation room."

"And my tools?"

"Cleaned, sharpened and all laid out for you, my lord."

Vardun's features returned to their usual serene state.  "Excellent.  I will attend to them in the morning.  Now, I shall retire for the evening, but do not forget—I am to be notified instantly, at the slightest hint of anything unusual."

"State your full name

"State your full name."

"Huh?"

"State your full name."

"Do what wif me name?"

"State it."

"Dunno what that means, yer honour."