Cara/Erin

It was Friday morning at J&H, and and Cara was sitting at her desk, staring at her computer screen. She was distracted by thoughts of last night, and wasn't exactly sure how she was feeling. It had all seemed so inevitable, she and Jay finally consumating years of verbal foreplay. But now she worried they had gone too far, especially given their close working relationship.

"What did Jay say to me at the fundraiser? That I'm always complicating things?" she thought. She wished Jay would appear, she was curious how he would act. He was always so composed, no matter what the situation. Cara decided that she would be professional, as if nothing happened while at work. Then hopefully they could grab a drink so that she could talk to him about last night and maybe, after a quick dinner... 

Suddenly, raucous laughter could be heard coming down the hallway, from the elevator bank. All heads turned, looking for the source of the inappropriate sound. Cara looked up, curious.

Jay and Erin Jamison were walking from the elevator lobby to the floor, engaged in a conversation that Erin was finding hysterical. Jay said something and she threw her head back and howled. Jay laughed with equal gusto. Cara cringed behind the wall of the cubicle.

Cara noticed with slight annoyance how they walked next to one another, close enough to bump elbows. They were headed towards the small conference room adjacent to Jays office. Cara was relieved when Jay closed the door. The laughter continued, muted.

Cara excused herself and quickly went back to her desk, hoping to pack up and leave before Jay and Erin could emerge from the conference room. She would grab her laptop and head for the cafeteria and work there for a while until the coast was clear. The last thing she wanted to do was bump into Erin and her penetrating eyes.

Just then, her phone buzzed. It was an in house number she didn't recognize, with no identifying name.

"Hello, Cara Raymond!" she said.

"Cara, great you're there!" it was Jay, calling from the conference room. Cara's stomach dropped.

"Hi Jay, Elizabeth and I are in the middle of something. Can I call you later?" she asked nervously.

""Drop everything and come to the conference room by my office. Erin Jamison's here!" he said with enthusiasm.

"Uh, sorry, Jay," she stammered." "But I -"

"Great," Jay said pointedly. "See you in a minute!"

Cara sighed. There was no way out."Please, God, don't let her recognize me," she whispered.

Cara tapped on the door to announce her arrival and entered the conference room. Jay and Erin were seated at the end of the oblong table, again, close enough to touch. Cara felt a spark of jealousy, especially after last night.

"Erin, you remember Cara Raymond, don't you?" Jay asked.

"I certainly do," she answered looking Cara up and down."The dress you wore to my little event was eye catching," she said. " Dear old dad certainly noticed."

"Uh, thank you," Cara said unsure of how to take her comments. "Jay, I don't want to be rude but-" Cara started, backing towards the door. She was uncomfortable with the way Erin was scrutinizing her.

"Cara, this will only take a minute," Jay said with a hint of impatience. "Erin and I were discussing the fund that was set up for Pencils for Promise. It's been showing steady growth but at a low rate. She's looking for someone more aggressive to manage the portfolio." Jay explained."I told her you would be perfect." He looked at her meaningfully.

Caras stomach dropped. She needed to get out of this fast."I'm flattered, and I think this is such a worthwhile cause-" she began but was interrupted when Erin's phone rang.