firehouse

Mark stood in the fire house kitchen and stared dumbly at his cell phone. She had given him a wrong number. It didn't make sense. She was the one to ask him to call her...twice!

"yo chambers, third period's about to start," John Martinelli called from the large rec room where the guys on duty were gathered to watch the Ranger game.

Mark put his phone back in his pocket and shook his head. "Whatever," he said aloud but he was more disappointed than he expected. He grabbed a few Cokes and headed back to where the crew was watching the game.

"C'mon, Richards, do something." Martinelli was yelling at the screen. "You idiots keep letting these punks hang around you're gonna be on the golf course next week!" Martinelli was a die hard Ranger fan, who would have been at the day game, face painted in the Rangers red, white and blue if he hadn't had duty. He was also captain of the NYFD hockey team, and a tremendous player who once was played in the minor league. A badly torn ligament ended his career, , but playing for the NYFD to him was just as good if not better. Mark was the only other guy in the house on the team.

" Calm down, Marty, you're gonna have a heart attack or something'. 'sides, if the Rangers make it to round two they're gonna get demolished by Pittsburgh so it don't really matter," Jeremy Winters said from the other end of the massive sectional they had piled on to watch the game. Jeremy was a smartass. Most of the crew didn't like him but he was a very skilled driver whom they respected.

Everyone turned to watch Marty's reaction. Marty turned to Winters and growled, "why don't you take your negativity somwheres else, you piece of shit Boston fan?"

With that a cheer went up in the room as the Rangers shot a puck under the goalies pads scoring a goal to take the lead. The tension was broken.

"You got lucky there, Winters," Mark said in a low voice. "Marty could crush you with one hand. I'd shut my mouth if I were you."

"Fuck you Chambers," Jeremy mumbled. He grabbed a bowl of chips, and sat bad sulking.

The Rangers won 3 - 2 so the mood was merry in the house as the crew went to the dining hall. Tom Bates, who was cook for the night had a huge pot of chili bubbling on the stove and hunks of fresh bread piled on the table. A large green salad with bright red tomatoes sat In a tray on the table. "dig in, boys," he cried as they walked in the room."three alarm tonight!" Tom's chili was infamously spicy.

"Jesus Christ, Bates, are ya trying to kill us?" Jim Allers spat after swallowing a huge spoonful..

"Bunch a women..." Bates smiled and gobbled down a heaping spoonful. His eyes watered immediately and he reached for a piece of bread to combat the heat. "I guess I outdid myself tonight. Sorry fellas I -"

His words were cut off when the alarm sounded. As if ejected from their seats the firefighters leapt up from their chairs and raced for the fire pole.

The dispatcher announced the location and type of fire over the intercom as the crew jump into their gear: apartment building fire in Harlem, about ten blocks from their station. Ladder Companies 106 and 92 had also been called. Must be a big one, Mark thought to himself.

They piled into the rig with Winters at the wheel. Mark closed his eyes and envisioned executing his specific duties. He was a front line guy, whose job it was to ventilate the space so that the second wave bearing the fire hoss came in. He was also responsible for identifying and evacuating victims trapped in the building. John Martinelli was his "buddy" this weekend; they were responsible for each others safety. Mark was thankful. Marty was a pro.

Traffic on Third Avenue snarled and the truck slowed to a virtual stop. Winters surveyed the road to see if there was any way to navigate around the jam, which was most likely the result of the fire a few blocks away. His demeanor betrayed no panic but his mind raced. He blared his horn along with the wailing siren. Cars attempted to move out of the way but there were too many cars with nowhere to go.

Winters turned down 96th Street trying to detour around the traffic. He headed back north on First, barreling at full speed attempting to make up lost time.The firefighters in the bay of the rig glanced at one another. They could only hope that the other companies had better luck in getting to the site.

By the time 85 reached the building three other companies had arrived and surprisingly the fire seemed under control. Smoke still trailed from the windows of the upper floors but most of the work had been done. Winters was visibly upset. As a driver it's a matter of pride to be the first rig at the site.

Mark and Marty and three other sets a front-liners were sent into the building as back up to the Companies already inside. The building was clear of civilians, so all that was lensure check each floor for any sign of burning debris. The rest of the crew waited outside. Soon they were on the way back to the house.

Winters had been mumbling to himself the entire ride back, still fuming over the traffic situation. When they got inside and took off their equipment he slammed his locker and huffed around.

"For Gods sake, Winters, calm down. So we looked like assholes getting' to the fire late," Marty taunted.

"Shut the fuck up!" Jeremy shouted.

"Hey Winters, relax. He's just busting your ass. Don't be so sensitive," Mark said as he placed his boots on the shelf.

"this is none of your goddamn business Chambers so stay out of it!"

In one swift move Mark crossed the room and was in Winters face,"now you made it my business you asshole,"he seethed.

"what's your problem Chambers?"

"hey, Mark, don't waste your time on this db," Marty had come over to stand between the two.

"come on Winters, whenever you're ready," Mark threatened.

"Break it up you two, Cap's coming!" Bates shouted.

Marty had to physically pull Mark away. "Jc Chambers, it was no big deal. Jeremy's an asshole, we all know it."

Mark face still wore a strained expression. He seemed unable to calm down.

Cap walked up to him and said icily, "Chambers, go clean the rig. Winters, you got hoses.cut this shit out or you can both head home. I don't need this."

Mark finally stood down and did as the captain said. "Shit," he thought. "Not again."