cara & jay

Cara closed her laptop, stood up from the conference table and said her goodbyes.  She glanced over at Jay, who discretly gave her a wink.  She was done.  Leaving the room, she could barely keep herself from skipping out the door.  She tapped her foot as she waited for the elevator to arrive.  Once the doors closed, she allowed herself to breath.  This had been her first presentation as a junior associate and she knew it had gone even better than she and Jay had predicted. 

When she got back to her desk, she quickly checked her messages.  Mark had called again but she was determined not to call back today.  Since the fundraiser she was trying to give them both a little space.  Her assistant buzzed her.  “Mr. Smerling would like to see you up in his office.”  Cara looked up, nodded and grinned at Elizabeth. 

“We blew them away today.  Thanks again for all your help,” Cara said enthusiastically. “Don’t wait for me to come back.  You deserve the rest of the day off.”  Elizabeth looked relieved.  This had been her first real test, also.  She and Cara had gone over the power point presentation about 1,000 times making sure it was correct. 

 “Thanks so much Cara.  So glad it all worked out.  I’ll see you tomorrow!” 

Cara decided to freshen up before going up to Jay’s office.  She stopped in the bathroom, reapplied her lipstick and shook out her hair.  Looking at herself from the side, she smoothed her skirt and acknowledged to herself that she looked like she already owned the world.   For today’s presentation she’d chosen her new black pencil skirt with the slit that was as high as she could get away with in an office, stockings with a very small fishnet pattern and a crisp white Anne Fontaine blouse.  She’d completed her look with her patent leather Prada pumps.  She swiveled on her heels and confidently headed up to Jay’s office. 

Jay was sitting on his desk waiting.  He had a bottle of Veuve Clicquot and 2 glasses. 

“You were really stunning today, Cara.  I thought you deserved a toast,” Jay said.  He popped the cork open.  They were probably the only people left on the floor so she left the door open and sat in the chair facing Jay.  She couldn’t help but notice that he looked good today.  He’d taken to wearing his hair a little differently; it looked more styled for some reason.  He poured the champagne into the glasses and held one out to her.  “To you!”  He said.  They clinked glasses and both sipped the champagne appreciatively. 

“You showed Jamison you’re more than just a pretty face.  I’m proud of you Cara.  You made us all look good.”

“That’s what it’s all about, right Jay?”  Cara said, tilting her glass and looking at the bubbles.  She grinned. “Felt really good today.  Thanks for all your help.”  She stood up and went over to Jay, turned and sat next to him on his desk, swinging her legs like a little girl on a swing.  Jay put his arm around her and attempted an awkward hug.  “I know this week was a little stressful.  Have you spoken to Mark?” 

“No,” she said flatly.  “I don’t want to hear his excuses about Sunday.  It was too busy a week for me anyway.”  She turned to him.  “Any word from Mindy?” 

“Same. I don’t really care, you know.  I have my eyes on someone else.”  Jay put his glass down and gently stroked Cara’s cheek.   Cara closed her eyes and let herself enjoy the moment.  She felt Jay’s lips brush her brow and then he pulled her towards him.  His hands were around her neck and in her hair.  Jay kissed her slowly, almost tentatively.  “I’ve had my eyes on you for a long time, Cara Raymond.”  He looked at her questionably.  Cara stroked Jay’s cheek and wrapped her arm around his back and leaned in for a full embrace.  She kissed Jay slowly, enjoying the taste of the champagne and sensation of the kiss.  They kissed for some time, deeply, slowly, exploring each other’s mouths and getting a feel for what felt good. 

Jay shifted off the desk and got up to close the door.  “I think everyone’s left already but just in case.”  He locked it.  He crossed the room and took her hand, gently leading her to the leather couch in his office.  Cara pushed any guilty thoughts of Mark and betrayal out of her mind.  She’d been waiting to be with this kind of guy, with Jay in particular,  for a long time.   

They were both standing.  Jay leaned over her and kissed her again.  He  let his hand travel down her back.  When he got to her skirt he pulled her blouse out and his hand traveled up her spine.  Unconsciously, Cara moaned.  She gently undid his tie.  They kissed again, more deeply than before.  It was one of those long passionate kisses that kept going and going.  Jay gently moved Cara down to the couch, unbuttoning her blouse and reverently touching her collarbone and brushing the skin around her bra and then lifting the strap off her shoulder and sliding it down.  

“You are so beautiful” he said.  He lay her across the couch and kissed her exposed breast and everywhere  down to her stomach.  Cara’s hands were in his hair and she pulled him back up to her and kissed him.  After that, things seemed to move so fast that it was hard to know exactly what piece of clothing was removed and what part of the body was touched but they found themselves naked on the sofa, breathing heavily, finally satiated. 

Cara lay her head on Jay’s chest and stroked it, while he stroked her back.  It was too late for either of them to think about the tangled web they’d woven.