Cara trains with Jay

Cara had spent all week training with Jay. She was busy from the minute she walked into the office until the moment she left, which was later and later each night. Next week she would be on her own and she wanted to be perfect; she would have six junior associates looking to her for leadership and watching for any mistakes.   Like Cara, they were all Jay-wannabes and she had been chosen over them for this position. 

Cara’s respect for Jay grew daily; she was amazed by his capability, organization and zest for new business opportunities.    Cara knew she was stepping into big shoes when he moved up.   

Jay took her through his well-organized computer files where he kept tabs on all the transactions the juniors were working on.  Then he reviewed the list of clients he personally managed. How in the world was she going to be able to handle this kind of responsibility?  Through it all, Cara tried to keep her face void of emotion, hoping Jay wouldn't see how overwhelmed she was. By Friday, Cara was mentally exhausted and self-doubt had begun to creep in.

"Listen, I know this seems like a lot now, but you did great this week. It took me three years to get to this point, you're not gonna be me overnight, “ he gave her a playful shove “And I'm not going anywhere, so I’ll be around if you need anything. Don't worry, you'll be fine," he said gently.

Cara smiled wanly and couldn't find her voice. She was feeling very emotional, since Jay was being so kind.  She held back the tears which she knew were building up.  Cara took a deep breath. 

"What do you say we stop now and grab a drink? We never properly celebrated ourselves," he said shutting down all the tabs on his screen and logging off his computer.

“I would love to, Jay, but I have plans tonight. Rain check?”  Cara really wanted to raise a glass with Jay.  He was being so great and for him, incredibly kind.

"Hot date?" he said raising his eyebrows, his eyes glinting.

"Kind of," she said, embarrassed. "I'm going to the NYFD hockey game tonight. I’m kind of dating one of the players, Mark Chambers."

"You're dating a hockey player?" he said with surprise.

"No, I'm dating a fireman who plays hockey. Pretty funny, huh?" she tried to make light of it, given Jay's reaction.

"Hmm, a fireman who plays hockey… your conversations must be scintillating.”  There was the Jay Cara had grown to know. 

“Now, Jay,” she began to scold.

 "Relax, I’m just kidding! A rain check is great. You look like you could use a rest before your big date,” Jay winked at her.   

"Why don’t we make it dinner next week?” Cara said, her hand resting lightly on his arm. "I want to thank you, for everything."   

Jay smiled warmly "I would love that Cara Raymond.  Dinner it is! Oh hey, enjoy the game,“ Jay gave her a kiss, his lips lingering on her cheek a beat longer than a casual kiss should take. Cara felt a shiver run down her spine.  Jay still had that effect on her.

****

Cara went back to her desk feeling heady from the week - especially this last encounter with Jay. While she couldn't wait to see Mark later, she was surprised how much she regretted having to turn Jay's drinks offer down. Her feelings towards him were complicated, and were compounded by the fact that she was still so physically attracted to him.

While she pondered this she went through her inbox, her last task before leaving. She scanned a few documents and placed some in her follow up file; the others she discarded. The last item was a small white envelope, with her name printed in silver stamp. She picked it up and turned it over curious. Cara grabbed her letter open and smoothly sliced the envelope. It contained an invitation to a fundraiser the following Sunday...hosted by Erin Jamison!  

Cara ran back to Jay's office but he was gone. She looked at her watch; she was running late. She would have to deal with this tomorrow. She had a hockey game to watch.