they meet

Cara's head was down when she barreled through the door of Angelo's Bakery, her eyes glued to her iPhone, scanning emails. She was hoping to clear her in box while she grabbed breakfast so she could focus all her energy on her 10:00 AM presentation once she got to her midtown office. It had to be perfect.

"Hey, look up!" a startled voice cried out. Cara had shoved open the swinging door and slammed right into a customer on the way out. The lid flew off his cup and hot coffee sloshed out onto his hand and the floor, splashing her Prada's and her sheer, black hose.

"You've got to be kidding!" Cara exclaimed angrily, staring down at her splotched nylons.

"No, you've got to be kidding!" he retorted "You need to watch where you're going!"

Cara looked up from her coffee-stained shoes and hose into the face of an angry but adorable guy. He was wiping his dripping scorched hand onto his tight fitting navy blue t-shirt emblazoned with the letters FDNY.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry. You're right. It's all my fault!" she stammered, taken by the way his light brown hair fell over his beautiful hazel eyes. "Can I buy you another cup of coffee?"

His face softened a bit. "No, I'm already late. Never mind, it was an accident. Just keep your head up so you don't get hit by a bus or something."

"Good advice," she said sheepishly, her mind racing for something clever to say before he walked out of the bakery. "Let me make it up to you. Coffee on me tomorrow? Well, not on me," she quipped lamely as she rummaged through her bag looking for her business card. She found one and handed it to him.

"Cara Raymond," she extended her hand.

With an amused look he took her card and shook her hand firmly. "Mark Chambers. Uh, tomorrow's not good, but maybe I'll see you around, Cara Raymond."

She threw her winningest smile at him and watched him leave the bakery. Not too bad from the back either.

"Hey Cara, are you driving away my customers?" boomed a hearty voice from behind the counter. "Not sure that's the best way to meet guys!"

"Very funny, Ang! What a way to start my day," she sighed and walked towards the display case brimming with glistening pastries, fluffy rolls, and powdered goodies of all shapes and sizes. Cara inhaled the sweet floury smell, breathing in deeply and closing her eyes. For a moment was transported to the tiny bakery her parents owned in Yonkers where she spent many summers rolling out dough, sprinkling sugar and waiting on customers.

"What would you like, Cara? The usual?"

"The cherry tarts look gorgeous," she said, admiring their glistening fruit compote.

"They got nothing on you, doll!" Angelo flirted, dusty with flour, about two hundred pounds of good nature.

"Bet you say that to all the girls," Cara teased back. It was their usual routine; as hokey and predictable as Laurel and Hardy and as comforting.

"Give me a cherry tart and a large black, extra sugar."

"That what makes you so sweet?"

Cara looked down at her phone. "Ugh, Ang, I've got to run. I've got a big presentation today to my bosses. Wish me luck!"

"Here you go, doll, on me today. For good luck."

"Oh, Ang. You're the best," Cara blew him a kiss and turned to leave the bakery. Angelo reminded Cara of her father. She felt a little tug at her heart, wishing for the simplicity of her life back in Yonkers. But back then, she couldn't wait to get out.

Mark looked at the business card in his hand and laughed. He tossed it into the next garbage can he walked past. She was a cute girl but he was tired of women who were addicted to Blackberries and handed out their business cards like they were social invitations. He had dated a ton of this type of woman, and while most started out entertaining, they bored him after a while. They were all one dimensional and after the same thing: a guy with a flush bank account and upward mobility. He had been there, done that, and he was no longer interested in that world. He saw what money did to his family, and he wanted nothing to do with it. He turned the corner of 72nd Street and headed towards the fire house happy to start his shift at Ladder Company 85.