"How convenient..."

Start from the beginning

“I know its my week to treat, so Ricki just charge today’s lunch to my expense account-and enjoy.” Without waiting for a response from anyone I took off towards the exit. Don’t ask me why I was leaving, but I couldn’t stand the sight of him sitting there with another woman-I didn’t care if it was business or pleasure. I was just about to slip out unnoticed when I remembered something…I, Ella Rodriguez will not be tossed aside by any man. With that I spun around and made a beeline for Dylan’s table-a few waiters had to jump out of my way. As approached the table the woman looked up, Dylan was sitting with his back facing me so he was unaware of who was standing there, for all he knew it was just another waiter. 

“Hi, sorry for interrupting.” as soon as I spoke the words his back stiffened-he knew now who was standing behind him. At least he could still remember what I sounded like. 

“Hello?” the woman spoke obviously a little confused. 

“I only wanted to come over and say hello…how are you Dylan?”

“Uh…okay??” his reply sounded more of a question.

“Don’t be so shy Dylan, I know it must be a surprise to see me-but I’d hope it would at least be a pleasant one.” I said putting on a little pout. “I’m Ella Rodgriuez.” I stretched my hand out to properly introduce myself, as she moved to shake my hand-Dylan finally spoke. 

“Ella…this is Susan Willis, Susan this is Ella…” he took a deep breath and exhale slowly before finishing “…a friend of mine.” that’s all I managed to hear over the sound of my heart breaking. I’ll admit that really hurt, I tried to keep a stern face-but I could feel the tears burning my eyes. A friend? After all we’ve shared he just called me a friend. Whatever I stomped over here to accomplish-completely backfired. I stood there for a moment longer staring into his eyes, I needed to get away and fast-before I make a bigger fool of myself. 

“Well it was a pleasure, but I need to leave.” Once again I waited for no response and took off for the exit. I handed my ticket to the valet and  did my best to not cry, reaching for my phone to call Rachelle-this was definitely a best friend emergency. As I struggled to find my phone in my bag, I really need to organize this damn handbag-I heard my name-following the direction of the sound-I found Dylan standing in the doorway of the entrance. I managed to smile, but it was clear that it was extremely forced and not at all genuine. 

“Where are you running off to?” he asked as he got closer.

“I have to get back to the office, a lot of work to get done, you know.” 

“Why are you avoiding me Ella, even right now, you’re not even looking me in the eye.” I took the chance to meet his challenge-facing him head on and locking gazes. Was this the best idea-probably not.

“What do you want Dylan?” I said trying to sound as detached as possible.

“What I want is to know where have you been these past days-I’ve been trying to reach you. I was beginning to feel like a stalker.” he huffed out.

“Well doesn’t seem you took very long to bounce back…” I said under my breath.

“What did you just say?” he asked moving a step closer to me. But I didn’t reply to his question, “Ella…” 

“What?!” my anger was slowly coming back now, “ Why don’t you go back to your date-I’m sure she’s feeling quite lonely by now.” 

“First of, she is not my date. Secondly, I don’t see why you’d care, you’ve been MIA for the past three days Ella-nothing, not a word from you. And then you show up at my lunch table and expect me to just smile and pretend everything is okay.”