8 - Kindness

When we parted, I did my best not to show my face. I let my hair cover it and kept my head down trying not to appear suspicious or something like that. It was tough as fuck. After some time I felt the heat go away so I could walk normally.

After some time the Prince stopped.

- There - he pointed the corridor ahead of us - are chambers of lords and aristocrats who stay at court. This is the only part of the castle you mustn't even get close to. Do you understand?

His tone suddenly turned from light and cheerful to serious and commanding.

- Yes - I nodded glancing at the corridor.

- Great - he smiled brightly. - Now, let's turn around and I'll walk you back to your room.

But I don't wanna go back there... As quickly as I thought that, I tried to erase it from my mind. 

We walked to the other part of the castle having a nice and lively chat. I was just about to say goodbye when I got startled because Asher opened the door before me letting me go first and followed me. That was pretty unexpected.

The Prince took out a box of matches from Hell-knows-where and lit up a candle on the floor. Apparently, there was a holder somewhere too because he approached me with the flame's faint glow.

- I should have thought of a source of light earlier - he sighed. - I am really ashamed I let you be in such darkness for all this time.

- Don't worry, I'm already used to it. Besides, it was quite different then so I understand.

- I still think I exaggerated about like everything what included your room - he looked around. - That's why - he paused. - I'm going to have your room renovated. 

- Excuse me?

- You heard.

- Are you for real?!

- Actually...

- No, no! I didn't mean that. I meant, that's unbelievable and thank you!

The Prince sighed.

- Honestly, your reactions are always so emotional.

- Is it... wrong?

- No, I'm just not used to it yet. - Yet. - It kinda makes me glad.

- Why would it make you glad? - I asked slightly confused.

- None of your business. - He smirked mysteriously and I probably was already blushing at that moment. - Anyway. Should I get a professional designer or do it myself? Maybe you have an idea what you'd like this room to look like? - He glanced at me with curiosity.

- I-I... - The recent knowledge of my own feelings towards Asher didn't help me talk to him a tiny bit then when he was looking right at me. - I like your taste so it would be perfect if you handled interior decorations.

- All right then. I'll have the preparations done right away - he turned back heading to the door.

- Wait... Right away?!

- Why not? - He said and left.

I just stood there in silence for some time wondering what it'd been. Then I sighed and took a shower (Hadn't I mentioned that before? There was a small, half-functioning bathroom en suite. I discovered it quite a long time after enslaving, when it turned out my new material body had unexpected physiological needs. One day, I got a message from Asher in my head, telling me to wash myself and explaining where the bathroom was. Quite embarrassing, to think of it...).

I was done and headed out. I wanted to be familiar with every inch of the castle as I was supposed to spend there, assumedly, the rest of eternity. I was positive I would never be set free, no delusions there. I was a slave. Unless I'd escaped.

I started to wander. I hadn't realized earlier that the castle was so full of people and lively. Now that I got to view it more, I came across a lot of vampires I'd never seen. Most of them gave me hostile glares and others apparently didn't give a shit.

I admired the castle once again. The place sent such incredible vibes it seemed almost surreal to be there. The air smelled like oldness, making one think of a library or a dusty attic. The atmosphere was just magical. I imagined what it would have been like if everyone had dressed like the Prince. I'd definitely believe I traveled in time back to the modern era. I wasn't keen on history at all but my sister had taught me something. The sudden memory of Vyee saddened me and made me miss my dimension though all this time I'd struggled to avoid thinking about home. 

I had to find an interesting activity to get my mind occupied.

Oh, I know! There must be a library or something like this. But I didn't know where.

I went straight and noticed two maids around the corner of the corridor. I walked up to them.

- Excuse me, ladies - only one of them raised her eyes on me. - I'd like to ask where the library is? Is there such place?

- There is a reading room on the next floor, east wing. His Majesty keeps there an impressive collection of various books.

The girl who answered me had big grey eyes and long wavy fair hair. Wow, she's cute.

- Oh, is it his private collection? Can you go there?

- Yes, you can. If you couldn't I'd tell you at the beginning that there is no such place - she smiled. - There are guards though. They watch if you treat the books right so if you just read, you'll be good.

- Thank you very much - I smiled back. - Goodbye! 

Both maids responded with a nod and I headed towards the stairs. I think I'd never been upstairs. In fact, I hadn't realized there had been other floors at all!