Chapter 15

After a second of registering my thoughts, I made my way to the kitchen to find Davina. I could feel the huge smile on my face and made no effort of hiding it as I approached her. The second she saw me a smirk fell onto her lips. 

"I guess I was right about you getting laid huh?" I just laughed and hit her arm playfully. 

"No Davina gosh. We just danced. But it was great!! I was so nervous to talk to him at first even though I've been doing it for weeks now, but I don't know... it was a good feeling. He looked at me as more than just one of the guys." I smiled for a while but then it fell when I realized how deep I was in my lie now. 

"Davina. I don't think I should've met him. Now when I tell him who I really am he'll think it was all some big joke or something. He won't be able to trust me again." I frowned at her and she put her hands on my shoulders.

"I think he'll get over it Ev. Trust me, everything will turn out fine." She gave me a reassuring smile and pulled me in for a hug. I was thankful for this girl, that's for damn sure. 

"So enough about me. How was your night with Reese?" I giggled and raised an eyebrow at her. If I wasn't mistaken, I could see a slight blush on her cheeks. Davina never blushed. She instantly smiled and her eyes brightened.

"He's the best Ev. I really like him." Her smile got slightly bigger, if possible and there was absolutely no doubt in her voice. As she told me about their magical kiss and all of his sweet gestures I realized how much I wanted this. Jack was sweet to me but he wasn't really the most romantic type. Although there was the one time when he surprised me at school with a shirt of me on it from when I landed a huge modeling gig. I had to admit it was super cute. 

"I'm really happy for you Davina! You deserve the best." I smiled as brightly as her. 

After our talk which turned out to be an hour long, we began walking back to her house. Once inside Davina helped me transform back into a guy. I would have to sneak back into school since we technically weren't allowed to leave, especially not for a high school party. Zander would be waiting near the back door to let me in. With my makeup and wig off I sighed and looked back at myself. My hair was beginning to grow out but I decided to let it keep growing just a little so that it would be long enough to run my hands through. After getting on a pair of sweats and a camo  t-shirt and of course wrapping up my chest which felt free for the first time in forever, we hopped in the car. 

Once we reached the school I turned to look at Davina with sad eyes. "Text me everything that happens. I want to live vicariously through you." I gave her a small smile while jumping out. 

"Same goes to you babe, love ya." She blew me a kiss as I shut the door and I did the same before watching her drive away. 

Afterwards I made my way to the back of the school to see Zander waiting by the door. 

"Hey man! How was the party?" He smiled and gave me a man hug that I had become accustomed to here. 

"It was fun! I wish you could've been there." We walked to our room and talked for a bit about the party and test we had coming up in English. Then I went to sleep and had the best sleep in a very long time.

That morning I sat in English after finishing my test and thought about Alex. He was sitting next to me with a crease between his brows as he focused on his test. He looked so cute and determined. Unlike a lot of the guys here, I excelled more in the books than the gym. They were all big and buff but some of them had brains the size of a pea. English had always been my favorite class, and at this school, I loved it even more. Mrs. Blake sat in the front grading my paper and looked up when she was done with two thumbs up and a smile. I guess I got a 100. I decided to take out a paper since there was still 15 minutes left in the class. I wrote the first thing that came to my head on the top in small faint writing: Alex. It was almost unnoticeable but obviously I couldn't make it big and bold for him to see. I looked at him for a second to check if he was watching before continuing. In the 15 minutes I managed to fill the whole paper with a poem about me and him. It was something I would never show him, or anyone for that matter. I crumpled it up and shoved it in my coat pocket at the end of class. I had to remember to shred it when I got to my room later. 

I got up from my desk and began leaving just as Alex finished handing in his test, "how was it?" 

He gave me a smirk, "you already know I'm good at everything Ev." I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. 

"Well I guess we'll see when you get your grade then," I chimed back. Seeing him smirk at me now was completely different than last night. There was just something in his eyes that wasn't there while I was Evan. Maybe it was a good thing. 

"I've been meaning to ask... I may or may not have been eavesdropping on the end of the conversation with your mom," I paused and took a moment to see his reaction. He didn't seem surprised at all. 

"Your asking me who the beautiful girl is right?" He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. I nodded slowly and gulped out of fear. It was one of those times in your life where you want to know something more than anything but at the same time you'd be okay never finding out. 

"I don't mean to be rude... but I was talking about Evelyn." I audibly gasped and I bet my eyes looked like they were ready to jump out of my head. I literally started coughing on air. He said my name! He talked to his mom about me! He called me beautiful. 

"Shit man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset." He looked down at me with concern and put a hand on my shoulder. "I know you guys just stopped dating, I just... well I couldn't help it. She really is beautiful. I saw her yesterday at the party, I hope it's okay. If not I won't talk to her." A smile made its way to my face. He would give up talking to a girl for a friend? Ugh my heart was preparing to burst any second now. 

"No, no, no. I have literally no problem with it, I was just surprised. I thought you weren't into the whole relationships and commitment thing." I gave him a look as I read his face. I know it was wrong to be having this conversation about myself with him, but I couldn't help myself. I needed to know. 

"Well, I've never dated. I didn't really see the need to and honestly I didn't want to. But man, Evelyn is special. She makes me think that maybe I finally want more than just one night." He looked at me with a smile and I could tell her was being genuine.

"So... you like her then? Are you going to call her? Wait do you need her number? I have it and I can totally give it to you." I always babbled when I was excited, if you couldn't tell. 

He laughed softly, "yes, yes and yes." He pulled out his phone and looked at me expectantly. I thought it would look weird to just blurt out my number out of memorization, so I decided to go to my contacts and then pretended to read off my screen. 

"Cool, thanks. You're sure this is okay?" He looked me dead in the eye, probably looking for and sadness or pain. Obviously there was none. He probably thought I was a little crazy for basically setting him up with my 'ex' but I couldn't care less. 

"Trust me when I say I am more than okay." I gave a grin as we entered the combat room. 

Coach Matt and Coach Jesse began to give instructions for the day. Apparently, in order to graduate, we all had to complete an obstacle course that had stuff like crawling through the mud and climbing up walls in a certain amount of time. Unlike the other horrible things I had done in this call, this didn't seem too bad. We left the room and were brought outside to the course so that we could all see. Today we would just be going over what to do at each section, and thankfully I wasn't called to volunteer at the mud section. They ended class a little early for the first time ever and I made my way with the guys to the cafeteria. Just as we were about to walk in, Grayson pulled me aside. Once we were alone I asked what was up. 

"You do realize how close that was yesterday right? Your eyes give it away. Maybe me knowing makes me more observational but Alex must be getting suspicious by now. Don't you think it's time to tell him?" I sighed, I knew he was right. 

"Telling him would make him hate me. Now instead of just being his close friend Evan, I'm also the girl he might like. I got myself into a huge mess and I know I have to tell him, I do, but not yet. I have to find the right time, and the right way. You understand right?" He gave me a sympathetic look and ran his hands through his hair. 

"Yeah of course, but you can't wait forever. The longer you take to tell him, the harder it will be, and I don't just mean for you." His warning sunk in and I nodded my head. 

"C'mon lets get some food, I'm starving." Grayson rubbed his stomach and squeezed my shoulder. 

I rolled my eyes, "When are you not." I laughed along with him as we entered the cafeteria but his words kept replaying in my head. He was right. The longer I waited, the more it would hurt Alex. I had things to figure out.