Chapter 1

I looked at myself in the mirror. 

"Will this actually work?"

 I picked my brown hair up and hid it from sight behind my head and stared at my reflection. In a few hours, I would be entering an all boys military high school to continue the legacy that my father had left behind. I missed him more and more with each passing day. The heart wrenching feeling I got when my family received the call about my father's death still haunted me. 

I closed my eyes for a second, taking a deep breath. "I'm doing this for you Dad," I whispered to myself. 

He always talked about his hopes that at least one of his children would follow in his footsteps and go to his old high school. However, he died so young that unfortunately, I was his only child, but I promised not to let him down. 

My best friend Davina was a total makeup genie and she promised to make me look as guy like as possible. The test runs had all turned out good, but I couldn't help but stress out. Being caught would only mean bad things, that honestly I didn't want to think about. 

A knock came from my bedroom door. 

"Come in!" I shouted. 

My mother came walking in, smiling wide. She knew about my plan, and unlike many other mothers, she was okay with it. She too had served time and she knew that this was what I really wanted to do. I was thankful to have her. 

"Now Evelyn, you have to promise me you'll be careful. You sure do remind me of your father. He was just as brave and adventurous as you are." 

"I promise Mom. I love you." 

"I love you to Ev, what am I gonna do around here now that you'll be gone, huh?" She said with a little chuckle. 

As we began to laugh, the door bell rang and my big Rottweiler Axel sprung into action. 

I looked knowingly at my mom, "Davina's here. Time to get to work."