⋆ 13 ⋆ divorce

October 9th
Diana Hughes

today's recommended song - All the pretty girls, Kaleo

"Diana!" My mother dramatically tossed her hands into the air in frustration as she turned away from me

"Diana!" My mother dramatically tossed her hands into the air in frustration as she turned away from me. My father scowled at me from the corner of my eyes. His jet black hair was slicked back off his forehead and his large arms were crossed over his chest.

"Do you know expensive that vase is?" My father spoke calmly but his intentions were sharp.

"I'm so sorry, Mom." I tried my hardest not to throw up again and placed the vase back into its shelf, vomit still inside.

"What is going on with you at the moment, Diana?! You sneak out with boys in the middle of the night who crack our bathroom window, then you don't turn up to our dinner to welcome home your father, instead you roll in at god knows whatever time in the morning, drunk out of your mind!" My mother screamed at me, her arms flailing about with anger.

"I'm sorry, mom! I just told you i'm sorry you don't have to fucking drill it into me!" I dramatically stormed out of the room but tripped on a step at the bottom of the stairs, skidding down the step and onto my chin. "Ow." I whimpered, rubbing my chin before taking off up the steps again.

"Diana, get back here now!" They both yelled in sync and i ignored them until something she said caught me in a halt.

"I don't want you seeing that boy anymore!" My mom yelled and I stopped. "He's bad news Diana and if I catch you acting out or hanging around with him again I'll ground you for the rest of your life."

"Kiss my drunken ass, mom!" Was the last thing I remember saying before passing out onto my bed.

==

"Diana, we want to speak to you before you go to school." My mom and dad both sat in the living room patiently, like therapists waiting for their clients.

I sat down opposite them, hair tossed into a bun on my head and my bag on my shoulder ready for school. I picked at my finger nails and tried to ignore the throbbing headache that interrupted my thoughts.

"Listen, what we wanted to have the dinner about yesterday was something very important. Your fathers business is starting to settle in New York so he's going to be permanently staying there. It's obvious that we aren't very happy together at the moment so we've agreed that the right thing to do here is to divorce." My mother placed her hand onto my dads knee in a comforting attempt and I wasn't sure how to react.

"So now that the magazine is set up in New York, there's a space for an internship and maybe a job place if you'd want to take it."

"I don't know, Dad that's a lot of pressure." And with that, I stood up and left the house straight into Noah's car.

==

My forehead rested uncomfortably against the cold and familiar glass of the diner Windows, freshly polished and clear. I was watching a man across the road, sliding from the door of the house across from us and into the chilling streets. A swipe of suspicion ran over his face as he scratched at his elbows, what was he doing? His car keys were swiped from his pocket as he unlocked the white Bentley that parked in front of him, sitting into the drivers seat and gently placing his fingertips against the wheel. stroking the leather with such admiration and thought that it looked like he had raised the very cow that had been slaughtered to make the soft seats. he started the ignition and his eyes crackled with delight. And at that moment, when a man outside started banging on the locked doors and shouting with anger, I realised the car wasn't his and his crackling eyes ignited into roaring flames as he sped down the road.

"She'll have a strawberry milkshake please." I heard Ethan order my regular as I removed my gaze from everybody else's lives and returned it to my own. Mindy, the waitress who, we'd gotten to know over the years, swivelled around on her heels and into the kitchen to get my drink.

"You ok, D?" Toby asked me, scrunching his eyebrows together at me. "You seem a bit out of it."

"I'm fine, just daydreaming as usual." I chuckled to myself and the boys smiled, at ease that I was okay.

"So, I was thinking. Why don't we go on a road trip." A strange sentence was pulled from the blue and into our conversation by Grayson and Noah, as though they had already arranged it with themselves.

" Im not sure, i'm grounded after the whole drunk, vase, party thing last night." I sipped by drink.

"Well we can bring Shawn, you can sneak out. I was thinking we leave next week." Everybody else nodded and I did too, such fun I got from being rebellious.