⋆5⋆Veggie

today's recommended song: bear claws- the academic

Shawn Mendes.
September 16th, 2016.

I arrived at Diana's house at seven thirty precisely. A hand in my jean pocket and a foot kicked up against car wheels, I waited patiently outside her house.

I glanced momentarily at the silver rimmed, leather strapped, watch that clung tightly to my  strained wrist.

By the time I had checked a minute had passed by, leaving the longest black Armani hand just slightly past the 12 mark. 

As I placed my large hand back down by my side, Diana appeared from her door, a bag over her shoulder and a smile on her face, as her curls mimicked the bounce in her walk.

I greeted her with a smile and she returned it gladly, looking at the open door in thought.

"You don't have to open the door for me you know." She grinned and crossed her arms.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, how utterly rude and inconsiderate of me to think of such an appalling and ungentlemanly gesture." I told her, tutting and slamming the door, leaving her quietly giggling to herself.

"Well, Mendes, I can't say I forgive you for such a horrific and rude attempt at offending me." She opened the door again with her fragile hands and slid in herself, closing the door behind her.

I watched her from the drivers side of the car and she fixated her view on the front window.

"Would you forgive me if we got the most delicious food ever?" I turned and faced her, unaware of the danger that is not watching and driving.

She pushed her lips to one side of her face in a pout and thought.

"Depends if it truly is the most delicious food ever." I scoffed and leaned back, facing the road again.

"You seriously think I'd mislead you like that. Tut-tut, rose." She glared at me.

"My names not rose."

"I don't care." I smirked and glanced at her, quickly averting my eyes back to the busy road.

"Well, I don't really know if you'd mislead me, to be honest, you did just try and-" she gasped for dramatic effect before leaning closer to me and whispering by my ear. "Hold the door open." We both gasped loudly and jumped apart from eachother, mouths wide open in shock.

I always appreciated Diana's humour, it was similar to mine and I didn't often find that.

After driving for a while we appeared at a burger shop, my favourite place in town.

We slid into a booth and I ordered us two burgers, the two of us talking about anything.

"So, do you have any siblings?" She asked me, placing her hands on her cheeks and resting her elbows on the shiny red table. I flinched at the mention of siblings, part of me almost said yes and I was slightly amazed that after two years I still hadn't shaken the natural reflex. I often forgot about the incident, and part of me was tempted to say yes and carry out the lie of my sister just to humour myself that she was still here with me.

Diana noticed my body tense up and backed off slightly.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." She shook her head to herself and traced the outline of the empty glass that sat beside her with the tip of her finger.

"It's ok." I mumbled, desperate to change the subject and snatch away the awkwardness.

The burgers arrived at three minutes to eight and after eating them Diana froze.

She looked down at the empty plate in shock before looking at me with the same strange glance.

"Oh my god..." she mumbled, running her hands through her hair after wiping away the grease on her dainty hands from her burger.

I turned my head in confusion and squashed my eyebrows down near my eyes.

"What?"

"Oh my god." She spoke exasperatedly and frantically, picking up napkins and placing them back down before leaning right back in the booth, covering her face with her hands.

"What?" I asked, awkwardly laughing and resting my elbows on the table.

"Shawn..." she started, sitting up and facing me.

"What?" I asked, looking at her in the eyes. The words she spoke next had me rolling on the floor with laughter.

"I'm a vegetarian."

We sat there awkwardly before I burst out laughing, tossing my napkin from my lap onto the table.

"H-how can you forget you're a veggie!" I screamed, not caring about every body who had decided to glare at us.

She chewed her lip nervously before joining the laughter. It took us a few minutes to calm down and when we had she explained something's to me.

"I haven't eaten meat since I was 13." She mumbled and I smiled as the waitress cleared our plates away.

"Good though, right?"

"Jesus Shawn it was fucking delicious." I laughed at her choice of strong words and found myself admiring her. Her brown hair was down by her shoulders, curly with a few pieces tied back, her cheekbones were high and her lips were plump, something about the innocence in her eyes reminded my of my little sister and just the thought of her switched the smile from my face to a small sigh. We'd just escaped the topic of my sister and I wasn't about to bring it back up.

"You ok?" She asked me, obviously noting the change in my manner.

"I'm fine. Just a little tired." I chuckled nervously and gazed out the window, my thoughts entirely focused on Aaliyah Mendes rather than the girl whom I was dangerously stringing along to heartbreak that sat across from me, oblivious to what was happening behind the scenes.