Chapter Twelve

Lucy's perspective
*****************
      The first night was the worst. It was only me and my thoughts. He didn't come back to give me food and if he could hear my sobs he didn't care.
      The tear had started off small, lonely in disbelief. A small sob escaping. But then another tear fell, larger, like a part of my soul was escaping with it. Two turned to three then four became seven. They continued their track until another sob broke free. It continued-my shoulders shaking with what felt like the weight of the world. My throat tight, making it uncomfortable to breath, my heart felt heavier then it's ever been. And still he didn't come back. Leaving me to crumble in on myself behind the locked door.

                                  •    •    •

    He came back the next morning, but only to tell me through the door that Natsu had arrived and he had told him I was very sick. Then he left again.
      I had slept on the floor, had cried myself asleep. Passing out on the grime covered ground.

                                  •    •    •

      My stomach growled, but no food was given. It was the end of day 1 bleeding into night 2 and it was just as terrible as before. There was no restroom in here and he wouldn't let me out. I had to lower myself to that of an animal. And avoided the corner now.

                                  •    •    •

       Day two past along with the night. And finally at the beginning of day three the door was thrown open. My eyes widened in shock. It felt like forever since I'd felt fresh air. And even longer since I'd seen the door open. A tray of food was slid in along with his glare directed at me. Then the door was shut and locked again and I stayed on the floor, shocked that my only chance of freedom had been taken again. I cried, I ate the food and drank, but I cried. Like all the precious water in the cup was just cried out.

                                 •    •    •

Night three slowly came around. The day had been long and had worn me thin. It felt like I had become nothing more than the dirt on the floor. I hadn't moved since eating, just stayed splayed out on the floor, starfish style. Nothing moved. Even the air feel stale. Time seemed to barely pass. And it felt like the world had frozen over. Time pausing. I counted every moment by each breath and it felt like each one would be my last. But would that be so bad, I thought then at least I'd be gone from this room. At least mentally. Maybe my body would stay here though. And I'd haunt this room just like the other story. I started to think about that dumb haunting story, maybe we could team up once I die. Be buddies.
Suddenly there's a knock at the door and I slowly sit up. To weak and exhausted to do much. "Hello?" I mumble quietly and the door unlocks to reveal him.
"Well well well, it looks like you've finally been put in your place. What do you have to say for yourself?"
"I'm sorry...I...I shouldn't have stayed out late"
"And?" He asks, which confuses me. What does he mean? That's all that happened.
"And that I'm a bad daughter" I say, wilting.
"That's right you are. But what else are you?" And suddenly it clicks. I know what he wants. But I can't say it. It isn't true. That didn't happen and I'd never lie to say it did. But...I want out. I want freedom again.
"I'm not" I declare, boldly defying him.
"Hmm, is that so?" And he lifts an eyebrow.
"It didn't happen, I swear" I plead, trembling.
"I," he steps forward "don't," another step and he's getting close "believe," he's right in front of me "you." And towering over me. Engulfing my vision and making my breath catch.
He crouches down to my level and somehow that's even more intimidating.

      As I stare up at the eyes of what is surely the devil, I think that maybe the old story is true. Maybe there is a lonely girl haunting this room. Filling it with her never ending sorrows.

But...maybe that girl is me.