Imaginary Friends

Bucky used to have an imaginary friend, and not only when he was a child; she grew up with him, right up until he joined the army. He was very close to her, much more closer to her than he was to Steve, which, to be honest, seems impossible, but it was true. His imaginary friend knew everything about him, why he dated so many women, why he joined the army, what it was like to live with your best friend- everything, honestly.

When he became the Winter Solider, however, and got captured by HYDRA, Bucky never saw his imaginary friend again, she had vanished completely. Was that due to the brainwashing, or her being scared of him?

Bucky never knew why.

Y/N also had an imaginary friend, and they were close. She never had many friends growing up, so when she got home and saw the perky face of her old time friend, she felt relief rush through her body. It was good to know that she wasn't alone.

When she joined Stark Industries, however, and became an assistant for Tony Stark himself, all traces of her imaginary friend disappeared. It was like she never even had one in the first place.

Then, one day, something happened. Whilst Bucky had gone out for a jog, he saw a flicker of a girl inside the tower that somehow looked...familiar. He shook his head, he hardly knew anyone outside the Avengers - he probably saw her passing him on the streets or something.

But Y/N also saw a familiar man that very same day. The way his eyes twinkled, and the light stubble upon his cheeks - the only different was the long, flowing locks of silky brown hair that came down to his shoulders and the metal on his left arm, something which glistened when the light touched it.

She had decided to get a closer look, dropping the folders within her hands on the nearest desk and waltzing on over towards him.

Bucky froze in his steps as she approached him, his metal arm suddenly clenching and his heart plummeting.

He knew this girl.

Walking towards her, he put his hand out, and she took it gingerly.

"You're real," He breathed, as soon as her hand touched the metal.

He wanted to embrace her, hug her, love her. For so long her had missed the company, and for even longer he had wanted to feel her touch against him. And now, finally, he could.

"You're different," Y/N reached out and took a tangle of his hair into her hands, playing with it loosely and giggling.

"I didn't think...I thought you had gone forever," Bucky whispered, knowing it sounded cheesy, but to him it was the truth.

"I missed you," She whispered back at him, "you went away for such a long time, Buck."

Buck.

Oh how he missed her sweet voice saying his name, so innocently. So gently. He felt so much love for this girl in front of him, he just didn't know how to express it.

"Y/N..." Bucky trailed off, his hand nowhere cupping her cheek and his eyes exploring her own, before sliding down to examine her lips.

Then they were kissing, a sweet, innocent kiss that was very much anticipated.

They had finally found each other. At last.