Chapter 4 - Family Ties

After staying up all night reading different journals I found out that their weakness is a plant called vervain, they can be killed using wooden stakes and that sunlight burns them, which is confusing but not my main concern.

I know Zach Salvatore grows vervain since mom had sent me a few times to get it for her, she would drink vervain tea regularly now I know why. I have to figure out how to get it from Zach since I can't actually tell him I want it is for protection even if he does know about vampires. Apparently, there is also a council that kills vampires and covers up supernatural activities. After a lot of thinking and just sitting around, I decided to get ready for the day.

As I walk downstairs I hear Elena and Aunt Jenna talking about the news guy. "Oh, no way. You and him? He's cute." Elena exclaims and I groan in disgust. And think no he's not Elena. "He is not cute. There's nothing cute about him. What are you doing with that?" Jenna exclaims. I see Elena polishing our family heirlooms. "I went yesterday and got it from the safe deposit box. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood, she would loan it to the founder's council for their heritage display." Elena informs Jenna. Right founder's party. Wait that means the boarding house will be empty since everyone will be at the party, it's a great opportunity to get vervain. "How much do you think this stuff is worth? You know, like on eBay?" Jeremy asks as he walks in."You're not gonna find out." Elena says sternly. Ugh, seriously he's just joking, hopefully. "That stuff is mom and dads. You can't just give it away." Jer retorts. While I think; I need a plan. Maybe I can wait outside the Salvatore house around 8 and wait till everyone leaves and then search around the house. Okay, I should probably get some wooden stakes, just in case. Where can I find them, I obviously can't carve one and I highly doubt people sell stakes. Mom and dad could have had some, seeing as they a part of the council.

I reach my parent's room, it's odd I haven't been in here since their death. Okay focusing on the matter at hand, where would someone hide stakes? Probably a hidden compartment, after checking the drawers and finding no such thing I sit down thinking where else I should look, it clicks that I didn't look in the closet.

I am shocked even though I was looking for this exactly. I grab two stakes and stash them in my bag. It is afterward that I realize I don't know how to protect myself let alone use a stake. I decided to look around town for some sort of classes for defense or to help me build my strength. I first have to do something else though, I go to Elena's room and find the heirloom box and take the pocket watch, it is supposed to belong to Jer as he is the firstborn son. As I am preparing to leave I hear the doorbell and see Jer answer the door and soon Elena joins and hands over the box.

I leave the house and start walking around town and finally after an hour finds a self-defense class and sign up

I leave the house and start walking around town and finally after an hour finds a self-defense class and sign up. Since the class was about to begin I stay and observe while practicing a bit. After that, I go to an arena of sorts where I have seen people shoot guns and even bow and arrows since there is a compressed bow in the compartment I thought I should at least try to learn. I inquire a bit and find out people can learn to shoot with a compressed bow there and quickly join the class.