Chapter Ten

It was a miracle. In fact, I'm sure I was smiling. I was smiling. I could see my face through Lissa's eyes. The bond was back. Thank God. Not having the bond was getting on my nerves, I thought. And, the funny thing is that Lissa heard my thought. She responded, too.

Rose! I can hear you!

And, with that new discovery, I went back to my own body. Dimitri looked more worried than ever. My eyes flickered open, and I laughed. And, it was the laugh that said I've absorbed too much Spirit. Either, I was still absorbing her darkness when the bond was gone--or maybe the bond was just burned out?--or she had a lot of darkness in her, and I just took it all.

"The bond's back!" I yelled

Dimitri still looked worried. He helped me up, and made me sit on Lissa's bed. Chris kept pacing back and forth. I rolled my eyes, and stood up. I walked over to Chris and placed my hands on his shoulders.

"Calm down. What's wrong?"

"You almost fell through a glass table! You could've cracked your skull open! Or the baby could've gotten hurt!"

Why would he care? I mean, we're friends, but this is a little over protective. I raised my eyebrows as a way to speak my thoughts. He shook his head and headed outside. I raced after him, knowing that he probably stepped out to get some cigarettes from Adrian.

"Liss, call Adrian and tell him not to give Chris anything to smoke"

I ran out the door, and saw that Chris was running, too. Which means that he's almost to his car. Once he gets in his car, it's over. He's going to get cigarettes. Don't ask me why I make such a big deal out of this, because I don't know either. I feel like... I don't know. It's hard to explain. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything bad happened to him. Especially if I could've done something about it.

A hand stopped me from moving any further, though. It was a touch that burned me, even it was just to pull me into an embrace. I felt a tear slide donw my cheek, and quickly wiped it away. I snuggled into Dimitri's chest, and felt content. I still don't understand how he could do that to me.

"Come on, Rose"

"But, Chris--"

"Is fine" I hoped he was right

We walked back to Lissa's, and talked until it was "bed time". I hate being treated like a kid.

*******

I was facing my very angry mother. Her face was beet red, and she was waving around that stupid pee-filled milk carton.

"I did it, Mom. I'm sorry" Little Me!

"No, Mom. It was me" Chris confessed

My mother shook her head, "You and your brother know that St. Vladimir's Academy is not going to put up with pranks like these, right, Rosemarie?"

We both nodded our heads. What on Earth? My subconcious has a really twisted way of making my dreams a fantasy. I wish I had a brother. Maybe I was trying to make myself believe that not all my memories from childhood were bad. At least, ones that included my mother.

"Good. You two start next week. I need to get back to my charge. Chris, you promise to keep an eye on your sister?"

"Yes, ma'am"

The dream faded and shifted into another dream. One that included me when I was eleven. Except, this was a memory. Lissa and I were roaming around campus, and stumbled upon a sad boy and his furious girlfriend. He was around fifteen, at the time. His back was turned to us, but he still looked pretty cute.

"Selena, you can't be serious!" the boy yelled

"I just wanted to let you know. And, by some miracle, I thought you would want to be around for our baby!"

"I'm fifteen, Selena! I have a life!"

"And you think I don't?!" she took a deep breath, "Listen, C. I'm not forcing you to take care of this child. I just didn't want you to see me three months later, and notice that I'm pregnant. Actually, I'm sure it'll be hot gossip within the next week or two"

It was hot gossip. I remember hearing about it three days after that. But, no one knew who the father was. That was around the time some teachers escorted them away. He walked by me, and wanted to talk to me. I had no clue who he was at the time. But, I know him now. It makes sense. Lissa knew Chris when he became her guardian. I didn't recognize him, though.

It was too clear now. He punched Stan in the face, trying to get to me. He called me "Rosie", and Lissa escorted me away. Chris got kicked out of the school for that. Chris... Rosie... I was so close to grabbing something. Not that I knew what that "something" was. And, I wasn't going to find out anytime soon.

Because, I woke up.

"Roza, are you ok?" he sounded worried

"No"

"What's wrong?"

I looked out the window, and sighed. It was still vampiric night. I had to find Chris. I changed and walked out the door. Of course, Dimitri followed. I was in luck, though. I made my way to palace housing, and Chris was standing in the kitchen, talking to Lissa. he greeted me and I put my hands on my hips. Lissa was worried. She tried reaching into my mind, like last night. She wanted to see what it was like. I put up a mental wall, and turned my anger on Chris.

"I know who you are" I said

His face sobered, "How'd you find out?" he asked me

"An old memory came back to me. It was followed by my day dream of having a brother. Don't ask. I don't know why that was... what?"

"Who do you think I am?"

"You were the father. Lissa, you have to remember that. You were Selena's boyfriend! When... when you saw me, you went crazy and punched Stan, because you needed to talk to me. But, you want to know the funny thing? I didn't know you! What the hell was that about?! And what is this big fucking secret?!"

"Roza, calm down"

"Shut up, Dimitri! You are all keeping a secret from me! I want to know what it is, and I want to know NOW!"

Just then, my mother walked in with Abe. She kept looking back and forth between me and Chris. She hasn't met Chris and was probably wondering who he was, and why I was yelling at him. But, Abe knew him.

"Christopher, this needs to stay a secret. Ok? Rose can't know right now" I had heard Abe say a couple weeks ago

I strolled over to Abe, "And, you knew, too, Old Man! What the hell is going on here?!"

"Rose... you were young..." my Mom started

"No, Janine. Chris has to tell her. If he wants to" Don't even give him the option, Abe

"Tell me, Chris" I demanded

"Rosie..." his face looked pained, "You might want to sit down"

Dimitri led me to Lissa's bed where he and Lissa sat by me. They grabbed each of my hands, trying to be comforting. Ok, who didn't know? Anyways, Dimitri and Lissa were trying to be comforting. Not that it worked. Lissa's nails dug into my palms, but I didn't say anything. It didn't hurt that much. But, she read my mind and let go. She slung her arm over my shoulder instead.

"Get on with it" I said

"Well..."

I don't know if I can handle this.