The Dream

Singing.

He heard a woman's voice singing to him.

All the clouds in the sky.

All the stars in the heavens.

I'll gather them up.

For my precious little one.

All the flowers in the field.

All the dreams of my heart.

I'll gather them up.

For my precious little one.

He thought she had a beautiful voice. It felt as though she was singing just for him. Along with the voice he began to realize that someone was holding him and rocking him back and forth. Normally he didn't like people having a hold of him, but this embrace felt gentle and comforting. He didn't mind it at all. He opened his eyes.

He saw a beautiful face smiling down at him. She had green eyes and long flowing red hair. She was wearing what looked like ninja gear that was mostly orange. As he came fully conscious he was also aware that he wasn't in his body. At least he wasn't in his current body. Somehow he had reverted back into a small child of six or seven, back when he still had at least a little bit of innocence.

Seeing his eyes open she stopped rocking him and spoke. "Hello Naru-chan, I am so happy to finally be with you again."

Her tone was so tender and affectionate. No one had ever spoken to him like this before. He somehow knew that this woman would never harm him. "Are… are you my kaasan?"

Her sudden laughter caught him off guard, as did her hugging him so tight. "Oh how I've longed to hear you call me that my little one! Yes, I am kaasan, I am your mother."

Hearing that he put his small arms around her and said something he had always longed to say just once. "Mommy."

XXXXXXXXXX

For several minutes they both simply wept and held on to each other. If this had been all there was, if the dream had ended at that moment. It would have been enough. For Naruto, to finally know his mother's face, to hear her voice, to feel her arms protectively around him, and to know that she had loved him. If there had been no more than that it would have been enough.

He remained securely in her arms but began to look about. They seemed to be in a patch of dead forest. He recognized it as the terrain that surrounded Youkai academy. "Mom, where are we?"

She quickly wiped away her tears before answering. "We are in the realm of dreams my son. The land around you will respond to your wishes, we are in this forest because it is where you want us to be." She reached down and gently wiped the tears from his cheeks. "Just as you are in this form because it is how you truly see yourself."

Naruto shook his head denying it. "I'm not a little boy. I'm a man and a ninja."

"In the waking world you are. But in your heart of hearts you still see yourself as an innocent child."

"No," he spoke in a weary voice. "I haven't been innocent for a very long time." He looked up at her. "Mother do you know what my life has been like?"

"I do," she squeezed him tight again. "And I'm so sorry my precious son. You did not deserve the cruelty you received. Your father's dying wish was that you be seen as a hero."

At her mention of his father he suddenly looked around. "My father! Where is he? Weren't you both supposed to be summoned?"

"I am sorry Naru-chan," she said sadly. "Your father's spirit is locked away in the belly of a shinigami." Fresh tears came to her eyes. "His sacrifice was for all of time, and so he can never see you, not even here."