Thirteen ~ Focus

A few days have passed...

Reese's Point of View

Sitting in a cold jail cell is about as fun as you would think it is, especially in a place where everyone hates you. I have spent the past few days just hoping Nev is okay. If anything happened to her, I would never forgive my self.

A cough echoed through the room outside of my door. My eyes flickered up to see a horrific blank face. Her eyes were empty, only anger and hate showing through them.

"Get up loser." She hissed at me.

"Leave me alone."

"Reese get the hell up or I will make you get up."

"No. Get away from me."

"Oh but Reese, don't you want to see your girlfriend one last time?" She chuckled.

My blue eyes searched her face for anything but hatred, but her makeup teamed up with hate to hide any emotion. "What do you mean, Key. This isn't you, and you know it. You and I were best friends, what happened?"

"What happened is you chose another girl you didn't even know, over me." She didn't say another word after that.

The door opened with anger and hurt and her cold hands grabbed me. I flinched slightly, but she paid no attention to it. Handcuffs enclosed my wrists and Key pushed me out of the small cell. What did she mean? Did she like or something? I thought we were just friends... Did I like Key?

Nevaeh's Point of View

I was ready for him. Friday came quicker than I wanted. I sat on my bed, debating whether I should have someone come with me to fight Ulrim. 

My doorknob slowly opened and Liz walked in. "Nev. It's time for you to head out. Ronnie and I are coming with you, we will stay outside of the vision of the others though, so no need to worry about us. Please be careful out there."

"I will, don't worry yourself, Lizzy."

We embraced for a little bit, then we walked out of my bedroom together. 

=====

Daggers clung to my belt underneath my old, large, Falling In Reverse t-shirt. My black skinny jeans rubbed against my thighs as I walked. My leather jacket clung to me, covering my shoulders, causing a bit of sweat to cover me. My long hair fell down my back grazing the sword that was clasped onto my back. My black combat boots splashed through the puddles coating the forest. Mud started to stain my boots, but I couldn't care less. Rain splattered down from the sky, dampening my hair in watery wonder.

I emerged from the woods to the town. No one was about today because of the rain. That was good, that meant no one would have to see someone brutally murdered. I chuckled to myself a little bit. I know that's a bit morbid to be laughing about, but death is the greatest adventure in life. The town I have known my whole life, didn't feel the same. It felt like I didn't belong in it. As if I was just a pest that lived inside of someone's home, not belonging there and being a burden to the people living there.

Huh. My train of thought is way off of where it should be. Come on Nev, you need to focus. My mind suddenly wandered to Reese. I wonder how he is, if he's going to come watch the fight go down, if I die, if he will be there. I got too deep into my head. Pain started to cover me. The pain I have worked on putting to the back of my head. My body began to ache with loss and hurt.

My eyes flickered up to my surroundings, everything suddenly seeming so foreign. Am I making a mistake? My feet slowly made their way around the corner of the hospital in the middle of town and something caught my eye. Across the way, my eyes made their way across the ground where a pair of feet were standing, just next to the other corner of the large hospital. My eyes trailed up the body of the person standing there. The blue eyes of the man made my heart melt. A fear tears trickled down my face.

"R-Reese?" I managed to squeak out.

His eyes were filled with sorrow and guilt. His brown hair drooped onto his face as his hands stayed behind him. I rushed towards him, relief enveloping me as well as confusion. 

"Nev...I wish I could explain," he whispered.

He was pushed away from the corner and holding onto his arm is the one and only Key. Her red hair pulled into a sagging ponytail and her makeup was running down her face, as I have seen her once before. A handgun was being held against Reese's back. I stopped dead in my tracks. Horror sheathed my body. 

Key laughed right in my face. "Surprised to see me again I can see. The look of horror on your face I think just made my day."

A click could be heard from behind me, I whipped around, my hair following me, hitting me in the face and flying into my mouth. I quickly spit it out and it fell back to its place, hanging from my head. My eyes widened to the image of Ulrim Whitemore standing there, a handgun aimed right at me. Anger swarmed through me. He cheated. He broke what I had said to do.

"Well well well. Hello there Miss Nevaeh Ballari. Interesting to see you here, alone," he smirked.

"You are such a cheater. I said to meet here alone," I growled.

"Oh you see. I was, until I conveniently found Mr Reese, wandering alone in the woods. So, being myself, I had to have a little reunion for him back at our base. Then, as you wanted, I was going to come by myself, but you see, loverboy here, would've missed seeing his precious little gem being killed. So, being the kind human being I am, I had Miss Key bring him along."

I had no more words left. Reese was taken by Ulrim because of me. "Deary, I would suggest, in the best interest of you and Mr Reese, for you to drop your weapons," his harsh voice echoed in my head.

For Reese. This is for Reese. I slowly lifted up my shirt, revealing my belt that held two daggers. I started unhooking my belt when a series shots resonated through the whole neighborhood. I found myself falling to the ground, trying to protect myself. Cries were heard from around me. I didn't know who had been shot, or even what was happening.

I looked up to see Liz laying on the ground, a horrifying red substance dripping down her face. Detestation and dismay overwhelming me. I stood up, running around Ulrim wincing in pain on the ground, right to Liz. Her beautiful green eyes stayed still, life slowly leaving them. I held her, tears falling down, onto her. 

I looked across the way, Reese was crying and Key was being held in his arms. Her lifeless body slumped in his arms. Blood seeped down his leg onto the pavement, as well as from Key's back. Her long red hair falling into the puddle of blood that surrounded the two of them. My navy eyes traced backwards to see Ronnie standing there, a gun in her shaking hands. She made eye contact, shame swelling up inside of her eyes. 

A body abruptly interuppted my vision. Ulrim Whitemore stood in front of me, smirking, blood steadily falling from his shoulder, but he paid no attention to it. He was focused on one thing. Killing me. I clung to Liz's barren body as even more terror over took me. Who knew one could be so scared? 

"It won't hurt, I think," he laughed at my pain, my terror, my sadness.

His gun aimed at me. Mom, I'm coming to you. I closed my eyes, my body tense with fear. I slightly heard footsteps, combined with the sound of a bullet coming out of the gun.