Chapter six: New encounters

Start from the beginning

“Mrs. Evans, Delilah how are you today. Ms fin-.” Amanda, Ms Finch’s secretary greeted us brightly, she stopped mid way when her eyes fell on Bianca.

“I see we have someone else… here… today?” Amanda’s eyes inspected Bianca’s figure through her spectacles. Shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly, Bianca took a seat in the waiting area.

“Umm, Amanda, this here is Bianca. She’s staying the summer with us and she’s also Delilah’s best friend.” Mum spoke. Mum referred to Bianca as my best friend, she’s my former friend, its former why can’t people see that? Besides who’d want to be, ‘best friends’ with the likes of me. After all I’m a criminal…

“Soo...Bianca, tell me a bit about yourself” sliding her glasses on, Ms. Finch took her seat beside Bianca. Tucking a strand of her golden hair behind her hair, Bianca cleared her throat.

“Well, Mrs. Finch, you al-“

“Ms, I’m Ms Finch. There’s no Mrs.” Interrupting Bianca, Ms Finch’s face scrunched into an unpleasant scowl. She really hates being called Mrs, but the past ten months I’ve been doing therapy here not once have I seen her, the slightest bit angry. In fact she always seemed pleased by herself.

Bianca spoke briefly about herself, engaging in a friendly conversation with Ms. Finch. Her mahogany coloured hair framing her square face. For the first time I noticed her hair slightly darker almost fading into a black colour. Black?

Shaking my head slightly I returned to concentrating on Ms Finch and Bianca’s conversation. The two laughed at a stunt I pulled years ago while Bianca retold the tale. Watching the gleam in Bianca’s eyes tore my heart apart. The two days she’s spent with me, I hadn’t heard the laugh that filled my ears as I grew up. It seems that I rub off onto everyone around me, they either don’t smile or their smiles are filled with pity. Everyone’s laughter seems to cease the second I enter the room. I have this negative effect on them and it kills me, but I can’t change besides it’s for the best…that way no one will get hurt.

Bianca’s p.o.v

Holding the door open Grace, A.K.A Ms Finch handed me a form. I giggled slightly at her last joke, Renée joining in slightly afterwards. Delilah however just stood there alone in the waiting area, eyes glued to the ground. A pang of guilt hit me, this was her therapy lesson and I had wasted it for her laughing with Ms Finch.

“Bianca sweetie, just fill this form out and bring it in the next time I see you, okay. Umm, the form will help me get a better understanding of Delilah and what seems to be her problem. Okay?” Ms. Finch bid us all good bye as her assistant/secretary led us the way out of her office. Waving us off, Renée, Delilah and I buckled into the glamorous Mercedes.

The drive to Delilah’s school didn’t take long, but all the pamphlets and pictures Dee used to show me could never have prepared me for the sight before me. The school is beyond hideous!  The brick has an extra layer of mould covering it. The windows are either broken or none at all. Pieces of junk yard worthy scarps are scattered around surrounding the three ancient buildings. The ancient buildings, which Dee and Samuel call school and which I now call ‘Filthy’. How do these people live, haven’t they heard of renovating, this place is absolutely…what’s the word, Ah yes crummy. This schools a disaster zone and there’s no way in hell-

Renee’s chuckling snaps me back to reality. A smirk forms slightly on her face, as the car comes to a brief halt.

“Not liking what we see, are we Bianca?” she asked her laugh slipping out fully.

“Not really, this place is a disaster zone. No offence Dee, but it really is…” nodding her head May opened her door ready to go out. She stood there shoulders slumped, satchel balanced on one shoulder fingers tracing her collar bone. Whatever happens in that school has done something to scar Dee. With her back to her mother and me, a small breeze pushes against her body. For a brief second her body looses balance, all because of a slight breeze. Her petite, fragile figure standing before the enormous doors signifies her innocence. Her fragility.  An overwhelming need to be with Delilah takes over me. The need to protect her, even if it’s against her wishes. The need to know she’s okay.