Epilogue

And now I will start living today
Today, today I close the door
I got this new beginning and I will fly
I'll fly like a cannonball  

-Cannonball by Lea Michelle

******

This is it!

Brace yourselves.

Please read the Author's Note in next part. 

Alexander

1 year later...

"Fix your fucking tie, man," I said to Luke. He rolled his eyes, handing my son over to me.

"Jesus, you know I fucking hate wearing these damned things. You can't expect me to have it on right."

"You know Eileen would be pissed if she could see you." As soon as the words were out of my mouth he fixed it, muttering under his breath. 

It was the opening of Angie's Home. The shelter was finally going to open its doors everyone was here to celebrate. Well, almost.

"I'm holding him while you give the speech, right?" Lucas asked. I nodded, giving a kiss to Angel.

"Come here, my little Lukie," he said as soon as he heard Raymond finalizing his introduction. It was only fitting to name him after his favorite uncle, as Lucas said.

"Go do your thing, man. Make her proud."

I watched him walk away and take a seat up front, just as we had agreed. Next to him sat Marty. Nicole sat on the other side with her newborn daughter, Elizabeth and the little girl they had adopted, Imani, which meant faith.

I let out a breath, taking one last glance at my son and at the crowd of people that had arrived. All of them wanting to sponsor and help a cause so dear to all of our hearts. I squared my shoulders, and stepped forward, shaking Ray's hand before pulling him into a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Of course, son." I waited until he reached his seat next to Nicole to speak.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I am grateful for each and every one of you being here. I know that if Eileen were here, she'd be incredibly proud to see all of you united to help so many people that need it." I cleared my throat, recalling everything she had lived through. Always so damn brave. Always so strong. "This shelter is in honor of a beautiful soul that was lost as a consequence of abuse, Angela Grace, our precious daughter. We hope to be able to provide the emotional, physical and financial support that so many people in this world need. By giving us your help and donations, along with your time, you are ensuring that this shelter moves forward and gives the resources necessary for them to be able to sustain themselves. Again, the goal of this shelter is that one day the people it helps can walk out knowing that they have a bright future ahead of them. Thank you very much for being here, enjoy your evening."

After the applause, I walked back down, taking Angel in my arms. He smiled and I couldn't help but return it. He always brought joy. 

"Will you be leaving already, son?" Marty asked. He had provided the dessert, always helping in whichever way he could.

"Yes," I said. "We have somewhere to be, don't we?" I asked my son who simply nodded. 

"Are you buying flowers?" Raymond asked.