29 - Answers

I thought I was ready, ready for someone else

But every time I get ahead of myself  

-Ahead of Myself by X Ambassadors

******

Alexander

For nearly three months I hadn't heard from Eileen. And then I ran into Julia. It was supposed to be a one night thing. We'd had a couple drinks, and it felt good to not dwell on the past for a while.

But seeing Eileen was the last thing I expected. She looked different. The months that she'd been away changed her for the better and it was evident. There was confidence and security in her voice. Not the arrogant type, just a woman that was sure of herself.

And if that's not the sexiest fucking thing I've ever seen.

Her smile faltered when she saw Julia, but she greeted her happily. It was almost as if seeing me with another woman eased some worry of hers.

I had been engaged to Julia in my younger years and though I cared for her, I never had much interest in anything serious with her. Now, she was different. She'd matured, she was no longer the spoiled brat I used to know.

We were sitting in the living room with Julia trying to make conversation with Eileen, who despite the awkward situation, seemed comfortable.

"Where did you meet her, Alex? You've never told me about her," Julia asked.

Julia leaned into me, pressing her body against my chest. Eileen looked down and exhaled before raising her face to see us. Her mask was on.

"Marty's," I said, thinking back to our first interaction. Eileen smiled, a spark in those eyes. "I met her at Marty's."

"Oh, are you still in touch with Marty? That old man never liked me."

Eileen frowned.

"Well, what did you do?" The question rolled off her tongue without hesitation and Julia was taken aback, though she hid it well.

"I don't know, actually. He just never cared much for me, I suppose."

Eileen nodded.

"So, I take it you two are friends?" Julia asked, trying to relieve some of the tension now present.

Sexual tension.

And it wasn't between her and I. It was Eileen. Always her.

"Yeah," Eileen said, her burning eyes not moving from mine. "Good friends."

I saw it there, in her fucking eyes. The want that she still held for me, just as I had for her.

"Excuse me," Eileen said as she stood. "I need to use the restroom."

"I'll show you to it," Julia offered.

"I know exactly where it is," Eileen smiled.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as I watched Eileen walk away. Still that walk. Still those fucking hips swaying the same-

"Are you okay? You seem flustered."

My eyes widened when I realized I had been staring at Eileen, in front of Julia.

"Yeah.. Just a bit surprised to see her. It's been a while."

"She's nice," Julia said as she stood up. "She's very straightforward. I like her."