32 - The Future

Yeah, I'm right here, I'm trying to make it clearThat getting half of just ain't enough-Naked by James Arthur

That getting half of just ain't enough
-Naked by James Arthur

Eileen

She didn't show, Eileen. I don't want to break up over the phone, be patient for me. - Alex

I didn't reply to the text message I'd been reading for an hour. I understood his reasoning. Break ups should never occur over the phone and in reality I had no idea how serious their relationship was prior to me showing up.

I couldn't help feeling sad, though. I hated feeling like I was losing him.

I closed my eyes, letting sleep take me to a place where everything was okay. It had been a couple of weeks since I dreamed with Angie, and I craved hearing her voice. The things you take for granted in life are the ones you miss the most when they are no longer there.

My phone ringing woke me from the sleep I was still trying to find.

"Hello?" I mumbled, still drowsy.

"Eileen... Are you sleeping?" Alex sounded worried.

"Yeah.. I fell asleep. Everything okay?"

He sighed, and I could just picture him running his hands through his hair like he usually did when he was frustrated. "You didn't text me back. I thought you were angry."

"I'm not angry, Moretti."

"Are you sure?"

I sat up, pulling my knees up to my chest.

"I'm sure. I just wish you could have talked to her."

"Me too. That's not the only issue I have right now, though."

"What is it?"

"Addie. And, well, you know. Angela's birthday is coming up."

I had been trying not to think about it. She would have been seven.

The "would have's" or "could have's" were the ones the hurt the most. I would have taken her out more if I had known she was going to be taken from me so early. I would have worked less. I would have watched her cartoon's all day, every day just to see the joy in her face.

I sniffled, realizing that a tear had fallen.

"Don't cry," Alex soothed. "I'm sorry, I just, I though you might want go see her."

"I do," I said quietly. "I don't want to go alone, though."

"Of course you won't go alone, Eileen. Luke will probably go with us too. You don't ever have to do anything alone anymore."

His statement brought a smile to my face. He'd always made sure that I wasn't alone.

"Can I go pick you up, Eileen?"