The truth of the Heart

Sonic's POV

I felt Tails' body freeze still once I asked him that. The room suddenly turned into an awkward silence instead of a comfy one. Soundwave looked at us in confusion as we both waited for an answer. Tails then slowly let out a sigh and it looked like he embraced himself for something. "I.. Um..." But nothing came out. I looked over his face and I clearly saw how much he tried to hide the truth, but I didn't see why. Tails never hides the truth, besides if it's a good reason. Is this time a good reason to hide things? Soundwave must have noticed the intensity, because she walked up to her room with a little smile. I smiled back at her to tell that everything would be fine and looked back at Tails.

His eyes were aimed at the ground before him like he were trying to shuffle his words in place for a story. After a minute or two he looked back up on me, but I could already see his lies. "Tails, there is no need to hide it. I know when you lie..." I told him as he just opened his mouth, then it closed. He sighed again and I could feel my heartbeat race faster than usual. "Sonic... My boss got fired and we have a new one... but..." I could already feel where this is going. "He makes me work longer and longer at night... I can't say no, because then I will lose my job. I... I can't afford that now..." I heard his voice crack at the end of his sentence and my ears dropped. 'He... pressure himself to work for us?'

The only thing I could do now was to wrap my arms around my boyfriend, so that's what I did. His silent tears fell down on my arms and for the first time in forever; I didn't know what to do to help. This is his job, I can't just burst in to the place and tell his boss to stop torturing my boyfriend. It just doesn't work, then he will definitely lose it. "I... I am doing this for us Sonic. For Soundwave... I don't care what happens to me as long as you two are happy.." I widened my eyes as I closely listened to his words. Inside, I felt proud of him. He acts like a mother, well a man-mother perhaps? But he does this for the family, for us. I sighed and kissed his head. "Tails.. babe. If you pressure yourself too hard it's going to have a bad effect on your body. I understand you want to help us, but I don't want to see my beautiful fox get hurt" I told him. "But we need the mon-" I cut him off "Soundwave miss you Tails.." I cupped his cheek and I saw his eyes slowly got bigger in sadness. I sighed once again "She comes into our bedroom late at night hoping you are there. When you aren't, she starts to cry until she falls asleep. I try my best to comfort her and tell her you will be home soon, but she just cries" My heart shattered as I spoke about this and I am pretty sure his did as well. "Oh Chaos... What did I put myself into...?" I saw as he looked down and I felt his own disappointment.

I cupped his cheek and brought it up to my height and kissed his lips softly. It was a short kiss though, but I looked into his tearful eyes with mine. "Tails, the decision is yours. What do you think is best for the family?" I looked at him with a smile. "You need to look deeper babe. What is best for Soundwave? For me? For our future, and what is best for you?" I kissed his lips again and this time he kissed back. I felt he began to move up to my lap and his tails wrapped around my waist. We started with a soft kiss, but a soft kiss turned out to be a more... hot kiss. I felt my body soon began to heat up by this kiss. I opened my mouth a little to get some air, but was met with a tongue instead. Not that I minded. Our tongues started moving against each other. I hated to be the one to break the kiss, but my body screamed for air. Tails looked at me with pleasure after I broke the kiss and I soon saw why. "Calm down foxy~" Was all I managed to say and was only met with a soft chuckle from Tails. "I love you, Sonikku~" Honestly I hated that name, but when Tails said it, butterflies were flying wild in my gut. I also blushed, his lips met my cheeks and I started to chuckle. "Ok ok, that's enough babe. Have you made your decision?" I looked at him, but this time he looked confident witha smile. "Yeah, and I am going to make things better. I promise this time" I smiled softly and hugged my little kitsune. Ok ok, he may be grown up and all, but he is still a kitsune to me. He rest his head on my shoulder and I started to pet his ears. 

Before I knew it, Tails' decision made everything change so fast.

---

After our little talk the next day, Tails literally walked straight into his boss's office and told him "I quit, asshole" and then walked out again. I had to hold my laughter because his boss's face was so shocked that he just had his finger pointed at the door and his mouth wide open. After the little confrontation between Tails and his 'boss', we walked back home, but what Tails did next shocked me and made me feel like a proud father for his son. I think this father role has gotten to me...

Tails walked into his workshop and started cleaning up. He gave me a cloth so I could help him clean up the place, heck, even Soundwave joined us. When the place was completely clean, Tails started going through his inventions. He smiled to himself as he looked on his old inventons he used to use. Like the arm canon and that weird ring thing he just throws and pang! Soundwave wouldn't stop asking questions about; "What is that? How do you use this? How did you build it? and can I try it??" I just stood there watching my two nerds, but I had to admit, when Soundwave started digging in Tails' boxes, I got a little surprised when she soon found a huge book. On the writing it stood; My memories, with Tails' handwriting.

During the day, me and Tails started telling stories of our past. Soundwave was so interested in hearing it all, so we kept telling until we came to the last page in the book. Which were a picture with Tails, me and little Soundwave in the hospital with a sentence below. "The start of a new life, with an angel: the story continues..." I smiled as Soundwave looked at as both with her finger pointed at her. "Me...?" She just asked and we shared an agreeing nod. "Yes, Sweety, you" Tails told her as she hugged him close.

Getting Sound wave was the best thing that could have happened to both of us and I am happy that we got her. I smiled to myself and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead. "It's going to be better now Soundwave, we promise" I told her with a soft smile. 

And things did become better. Soon, Soundwave grew up faster than my speed. Tails started working with his machinery again and sold them to companies who needed it. Tails have become known as one of the best mechanics in the city and he is happy for that title. Sure he is busy, but he also has time to both me and Soundwave. I also started working as one of the fastest delivery people for different jobs. Which isn't that impressive, but something to live for. Our life became more simple and happy. Who knows what happens next? Well, me.

There was one day I took Tails out for a date which we haven't had for awhile. Little did he know what was happening next. While he wasn't watching, I bent down on one knee and held the ring in the box. When Tails turned around, I could already see his tears. He screamed yes without me even saying anything and hugged me close with tears of happiness running down his cheeks.

---

Tails and Soundwave were sitting outside on Green hill and just enjoying the view, when Soundwave asked a question; "Dad..? What is: The truth of the heart?" She asked as she looked in the book of memories. There was a picture of me and Tails' first kiss with that sentence under it. He smiled softly as he pat her back. "Well, the truth of the heart is what your heart wants and desires. My heart wanted Sonic and I got him" She looked up at Tails once he told her that and smiles. "I guess I need to do that as well then" She answered simply and leaned towards Tails. "Yeah, but be patient sweety. It took me 16 years to fine Sonic and get him to be mine. Take your time and don't rush it. Soon enough you will find your special one, one day" He smiled as he looked out in the horizon.

Be patient, your heart will tell you when the time comes. That is the truth of the heart.