Chapter 30: New conditions of challenge

All of a sudden, Utsumi and I went all silent. I didn't think it was so horrible. The way she narrated it sent chills down my spine. I simply assumed that she didn't like the idea of re-establishing this cursed club after so many years. In reality, she was fully involved that night, desperate to survive. Trying her best to calm down, she said, "At least you can now understand as to why I was reluctant about all of this."

"We're deeply sorry for your loss. We truly are," Utsumi responded. "But my father isn't as strong-willed as you are, Miss Yuriko. Even to this day, he suffers from PTSD. As far as I have known and seen, he hasn't slept peacefully even once, knowing that Kazuki is still out there. I want to make it right. I will find him for you. You have my word. Until then, please allow us to do our job."

Bold statement, if I must say. He's basically just telling her to mind her own business. A punch wasn't enough, I suppose.

"I didn't narrate all of that just to deny you your request. Your father, after all, saved my life once. I can never repay that debt, but I'm willing to lend you a hand."

With a slight smile, he thanked her.

"So, how're you going to do that? Clues about Kazuki's whereabouts? His connections?" I asked.

She replied, "How about, 'I won't shut down this damn club'? That'll hugely help you. As an added bonus, I'll not report any of this to Henry."

"That'd be more than helpful. Thank you very much, ma'am," Utsumi said.

"You're welcome. And it's about time you got back to class, Yoshida Ryou. Your attendance is already like crap. You won't be able to pass any of your examinations at this rate."

"Ah yes. I'm sorry. I'll be attending today," I replied.

"And, I'm also scheduling your fight with Miura Rika for evening, after class. Don't cower and hide, like you have been doing for the past week. Rumours have already started circulating about you."

What the--?

She left the very moment. And, I'm supposed to face the strongest 1st-year student today. I have been wallowing in misery for so long, that I didn't even train once. What do I do? I cannot remain absent today. I... let me ask Utsumi. He'll know what to do.

"Oh, don't look at me." He instantly responded as I turned towards him. "It's your problem. Do what you did to me during training. Just don't kill her."

It may just be my instinct, but I'm almost sure that he is stronger than Miura. Nevertheless, he still got hurt pretty badly when he took my hits. I'm sure she won't survive like he did.

"We should get going. Class will start soon. Plus, you better prepare yourself for the inevitable."

8:00 a.m., 1st Period - Classroom

"I don't know the reason for your week-long absence, but make sure that it doesn't bother your academic performance." Mariko-sensei said.

"Right. Sorry about that."

Yosuke slapped my back, and asked me, "Why did you go out so early in the morning?"

"Ah, nothing. Just wanted to get some fresh air. Sorry to worry you."

"Yosuke told me that you weren't feeling too well this past week. Are you okay now? What happened to you?" Ayase asked.

"I was a little out of it for a while. Thank you for your concerns. I really feel a lot better now."

Irritated, Mariko-sensei banged her table, and said, "You can all talk during the lunch break. Until then, shut up, and let me teach."

She taught us about the ways to increase our body temperature while fighting on colder terrains. This was essential, since it looked like it'd snow anytime soon. It's already gotten really chilly out here. I learned that using your power can generate a small amount of heat. Therefore, using it on a larger scale can be used to warm yourself up. It seems that during war times, people would use this technique to survive longer. But what surprised me the most is that people with powers actually participated in wars, alongside normal human beings. If that were the case, then why aren't we living in harmony? Why hide from the outside world? Don't people ever ask such questions?

Hunters Of RealityOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara