Chapter 8: Beginning of a new semester

A week later - Monday

It's finally happening. My first day at this bizarre academy. It's 6:30 A.M now---I don't know if I had enough sleep. The entire week, I spent most of my time gaming with Yosuke, not that I regret it. I have been trying to contact Akane, and Henry, but they both haven't picked up my calls, but neither have they replied to my texts. "Horrible human experimentation" was what was going on in my mind the whole time in these last few days.

But I have been researching about the vision I had. If I am right here, which I most likely am, then that sword is the Honjo Masamune---Japan's most valuable treasure, and one of the greatest swords ever made. It went missing about 70 years ago, when Sgt. Coldy Bimore took the sword, and to this day, hasn't been seen or heard of since. I guess watching that historical documentary back in middle school really paid off. But goddamn---it's in the hands of principal Yuriko! How did she find it? Also, Coldy took several other swords with him too, so it might just not be the Honjo Masamune, but it is one of the missing ones. I need to learn more about her past. Fortunately, I'm a specialist at that.

"Mmhmm--... Good morning, you're an early bird, Ryou. What time is it?" Yosuke mumbled.

"6:45, now get up. School starts in 45 minutes."

Heh, I've never attended a single class here, yet I'm acting like some honour student.

Now that I'm about to wear my uniform, it's unusual---black long jacket, black long-sleeved vest up to the neck, black pants, and black gloves. It's all black.

I literally look like an assassin. But it's really easy to move in this, plus the fabric seems quite durable. I guess this much clothing is necessary for the cold, and combat. Thank god they've provided gloves.

Getting ready, and having breakfast took us nearly 40 minutes---the rush at the cafeteria was unreal. At least the main building isn't too far from here. If we make a run for it, then we'll reach in time.

"Hey Ryou, you know your classroom?"

"Ah, come to think of it, no."

"Check your PDA. You have it with you, right?"

"Yeah. Uh... Class 1-3."

"Oh, same as mine. Nice!" Yosuke said, with a delightful expression.

The PDA actually isn't too bad---it has the function to call students and teachers, free of charge, and also has all the details about the subjects, and periods. Too bad you can't use it to call anybody other than people affiliated to this academy. But, it is an interesting little device.

*PDA ringing*

CALLER: UNKNOWN

"Hello? Who's this?"

"Henry. I want you to keep something in mind---do not tell anyone that you're a rekishiya."

"Why not?"

"It'll cause an uproar. Just be careful. Oh, and one more thing---try not to mention about how you got into the academy. Especially, don't mention about me. Got that?"

"I don't know why, but I don't see why not. Don't worry."

"Good. Best of luck. Enjoy."

CALL ENDED

The database didn't contain his name, and now he's asking me to keep quiet about him. All of this seems too strange.

"Are you coming or not? The bell just rang." Yosuke reminded me that we were late. Great. First day at an unknown school, and I'm late---so cliché. But still, I can see a lot of people still heading for the main building, so I'm not alone.

The girls have an interesting uniform too---black military trench coat, with stockings. It really feels like I'm going to a rich business school, and it's awesome.

After running for 5 minutes straight, the two of us made it to the classroom on the 3rd floor. The school building is enormous from the inside! If it weren't for Yosuke, I'd be lost.

"You two, are late, I hope you know that."

"S-Sorry, Mariko-sensei... I swear we didn't do it on purpose." Yosuke apologised, while having a terrified look on his face.

"You... you must be the new student. Why don't you introduce yourself? And you, Yosuke, I'm leaving you off the hook for today, since it's the first day after winter break. Go grab your seat."

"T-thank you, sensei!"

Okay, time to introduce myself. Be calm, you. Take a deep breath. Don't screw it up.

"My name is Yoshida Ryou, and I'm going to be a part of this class as of today. I am in your care."

I said it! Didn't mess it up like I expected.

"Good. Take your seat... There's one empty in the middle, next to... him, Miyata Yosuke." She said, with a disappointed face.

Yosuke started smiling like an idiot---roommates sitting beside one another, that must be too good to be true for him. Oh well, at least there's somebody I can interact with during class.

"Now, students, in this semester, three new mandatory subjects have been added, and two elective ones. You have to choose one of the two subjects for this semester. You will be having the respective classes accordingly today. Since it's the first day, I plan to make you all aware of the things to be expected. Now, open your PDAs and check the list of subjects.

I opened my PDA, and saw the list:

MANDATORY:

Mathematics

English Theory

Historical Events

Battle Terrain (BT) Theory

Battle Terrain (BT) Practical

Ability Theory

Home Economics

•ELECTIVE:

Advanced BT-Practical

Advanced Ability Theory

There are some subjects I recognise, and a lot of new names too---which I have no clue of. So I'm supposed to choose one elective subject, huh? But how do I do it?

"Don't worry, Ryou. These are news subjects for us too. We only had normal human subjects like social studies, and such until a few weeks ago. This time, it's serious. It's getting me pumped!" Yosuke said, with excitement.

At the very least, I'm glad I'm not the only one. This makes it really convenient.

She continued with the discussion regarding the new semester, until the period was over. The first hour was highly informative. Five more periods to go. What's next... BT-Theory, and after that, BT-Practical? Shouldn't be too bad, I think.