Chapter 9: Battle Terrain

2nd period - Battle Terrain Theory

"All right, you little newbies, this subject is entirely new for you. I'm sure some of you already must have figured out about this---it's called Battle Terrain. And now, it's theory time, and the next hour will be the practical. I, Mariko, will be teaching you both theory and practical, along with a bunch of other subjects. Without further ado, let's begin."

"Hey Ryou, I heard it from a senpai that this is the most fun subject." Yosuke whispered.

"Quiet, Yosuke. Another word, and you're cleaning the entire classroom on your own."

"Y-yes, Mariko-sensei."

He sure is scared of her. And, if I didn't know any better, I'd say she's had some experience in the military---she has a commanding voice, looks disciplined, and hot, for that matter, and also, she seems experienced in battles, like Henry.

"Now, listen carfeully. How many of you have powers based on contact?"

More than half the number of students have raised their hands. I should too.

"You see, unlike those with non-contact-based, or enhancement-based powers, you all will be at a huge disadvantage if you were to face a strong opponent in an open field---you won't be able to touch anything to make use of your powers."

Good point. I guess by non-contact-based powers, she's referring to powers similar to Henry's---he changed the perceptions of those bad guys without even touching them.

"And similarly, in a place, such as a forest, or building, the ones with contact-based powers will have a great advantage. So, what do you do in situations like these, where your odds of winning are low? This is where this subject comes into play. We will teach you combat techniques, and other fighting styles, which will get you prepared for the worst. As for the theory part, we will test your knowledge about the different terrains of battle---about its advantages, and disadvantages. But believe me when I say this---It isn't like any other subject you had in the first semester---it is brutal, and could even cause some serious injuries, which may even prove to be life threatening. This is a mandatory subject, and since I'm in charge, EVERYBODY has to clear both theory, and practical. Fail in even one of them, and you will have to retake the exams for both. Got it?"

Everything sounded really exciting, until the last part---I've never fought before in my life. How am I going to survive this?

"This is going to be really fun!" Yosuke exclaimed.

Theory might not be too bad, but practical? Nuh-uh. No way. All of these students here---no, everyone here is a yurei, or a rekishiya. I'm screwed. 

"You seem troubled, new guy. Relax." said the girl sitting next to me.

"Huh? Oh, no, it's nothing, I'm fine. Thank you."

"Hey there, I'm Maekawa Ayase. Looks like we'll be sitting next to each other, until the seat rotation next month. Nice to meet you."

"Yoshida Ryou, pleased to meet you as well."

She's friendly, and cute. I guess sitting right in the middle of the glass proved to be not too bad.

"Hey Ayase, decided on the elective subject? Which one are you going to choose?" Yosuke asked.

"I'm going for Advanced BT-Practical. I just want to get stronger real quick. What about you, Yoshida?" She asked.

"I... haven't really decided yet."

"Elective classes won't be conducted until tomorrow. So you have some time. Choose carefully." She said.

"Got it."

"Just so you know, I'm also going to choose Advanced Battle Terrain Practical. I'm going to leave you in the dust, Ayase."

"Try me, punk."

These two seem like rivals. I guess a healthy competition is really good for progress. I wonder what their powers are. I suppose I'll have the answer to that in the 3rd period.