Chapter 6: Test of qualification

"Die? You'd be willing to kill me?"

"I never said I wanted to kill you, just saying that I won't be at fault if you die." She replied, with a smirk.

"Fair enough."

This room... It's big enough for combat. It must have been specifically made for this purpose. I accepted her challenge, even though I've never fought before. And this isn't some ordinary brawl---it's pretty much a death match. And what's worse, my opponent has a goddamn katana. What do I do? Should I yield?

"The test hasn't started, so you can still give up and run, or, you can man up and face me. But once it does start, there's no backing off. Your choice."

If I'm being realistic, then there's no benefit in giving up now. If I don't get into this school, then, like Henry mentioned, I'd be hunted down by the other bad guys. I have to try.

"Oh, taking a defensive stance... So you're ready to face me? I'll admit, you're not spineless. As such, I'll give you another condition---just block any 2 of my strikes, and you'll still pass, but with no time limit, or, there's still the 30-second mark, where you just have to endure. Which approach is it going to be?"

Mind games, huh? She's making the advantage sound so easy, but I know real well that blocking a katana with bare hands is almost impossible---it's one of the sharpest types of swords ever forged. Surviving for 30 seconds, however, means that I have the option to dodge.

"I'll choose to survive for half a minute."

"Oh, I really must admire your courage. Okay, get ready then, boy."

She slowly drew her sword out as she completed her sentence.

"Akane, keep count of the time."

"O-Okay."

Good grief, this is the first time I'm seeing a katana---in the worst possible situation. The scabbard's red and white colours match with her kimono.

"Let's go!" Yuriko initiated.

With a swift charge towards me, she swung her blade---I barely dodged it, but I swear I could hear the air being cut. How much force did she put into that swing!? I would have definitely died, had it hit me. This is bad.

"Didn't expect you to dodge it. You have good reflexes. But you won't stay lucky for long."

"Ryou, look OUT--!" Akane shouted.

She charged forward with a barrage of strikes---I went from dodging to running. I did get hit two or three times, but they didn't cause much bleeding, since they only grazed me. Her speed is monstrous---I can barely keep up. All it'll take is one proper slash to kill me. I have to buy myself some time.

"15 seconds are up! Another 15 to go. You can do it, Ryou!"

"You're doing well for a novice. Maybe I'll take it up a notch."

She started swinging her sword even faster---I cannot even see some of the strikes.

"Tch. I'll end this in one strike."

Her eyes, they look... cold, as if ready to kill. Good grief, she's been toying with me the whole time, and now she's gotten serious. This is bad. I'm already sweating like crazy, in fear---one can practically smell it.

"Now die! YUUKINOKEN!"

"RYOU!!"

She slightly jumped up, and swung her sword.

I feel like closing my eyes, and letting her strike... but knowing that I'll get killed if I get hit, I have to block it!

At that instance, I don't know what came over me, but I blocked that blade with my hands---in between my palms, more specifically. I read in a manga once that samurais used to block this way with their palms, if they were disarmed. But they never mentioned the pain, goddammit. I'm standing right now, blocking a sword which is about a few inches away from killing me. She struck with incredible force---my shoulders and knees feel like they're about to shatter.

"How did you block that?! You lucky brat... I'm going to slice you up real good."

"T-Ten seconds more..." Akane reminded us of the time.

She's still exerting an absurd amount of pressure... she's still n---my gloves... they've been cut, at the bottom end of my palms. Oh crap, not at this time. If that blade touches my skin, I won't be able to concentrate anymore.

"Nine, eight..."

"How is he still standing?! Just collapse already!"

She gave a good push to the blade---and that touched the exposed skin at the bottom of my palms.

"...My name is Sgt. Coldy Bimore...."

"... Please take them, and keep them safe. No one must know about this... especially Lord Iemasa."

I can't determine how old this is. And Sgt. Coldy Bimore? The name sounds very familiar. Wait... It can't be... No, it has to.

"T-The hilt, it's glowing, how can it be!? Who the hell are you, kid?"

"Aaand... ZERO! Time's up."

She withdrew her sword. Finally, I've come back to my senses. I survived? Huh, who'd have thought? I feel so tired. But why is her sword's hilt glowing? It's---no wait, it's fading... it's... stopped now.

"I-It stopped. What was that?" Akane asked.

"There's a stone embedded in the hilt. It glows in the presence of incredible power, such as that of a rekishiya. It hasn't shined in a long time...at least not since that day."

"That day?" I asked.

She didn't answer. Clearly, not a question to be asked as of now.

"What was your name again, boy?"

"Yoshida Ryou."

"You're interesting, Ryou... I like you. I suppose you've passed. You can start going to classes from next week. Akane will be staying with me, and I'll be working on fixing that amnesia of hers. Meanwhile, fix those hands of yours. You're bleeding quite a lot."

After I patched myself up, she opened the doors of the room, and Henry was waiting outside.

"Welcome to Kibouyama, kid."