Chapter 18: Revival of TREC

"Are any of you planning to take Advanced Ability Theory?" Brett-sensei asked.

"You're a combat specialist, aren't you? So why teach this instead?" A student asked.

"Although that is true, and as you all know, I'm part of the TYB, but the truth is, I like Ability Theory---it's the subject I have always excelled in, and it is my favourite, too. Plus, Mariko-sensei has more knowledge in raw fighting than I do---she is also a former member of the TYB. Rank-4, at that." He replied.

"WHAAAT!?" Everybody shouted in awe.

She's ex-TYB, huh? I knew she'd have been involved in something like this. She has a strong personality, and also amazing athletic capabilities.

After classes, 8:00 PM

"Man, was Brett-sensei amazing! He taught so well. He's a walking legend." Yosuke said.

"You seem to be holding him in high regard. I'm guessing he's done some really heroic stuff."

"Of course! A year back, he single handedly took out 5 of Imperium's soldiers during a ferocious battle---all the while being seriously wounded, and having his teammates down. Thus, he saved them all, and brought them home, and quickly rose through the ranks thanks to this, and now, he's earned immense respect from all over the world."

"Wow, that is one unbelievable tale. Then, why is he not out there in the field? Why here, teaching us kids?"

" He's probably still suffering from the injuries---he was out of action for about a month after his heroic feat."

That's highly likely---or, it could be... fear? PTSD? I mean, from what Yosuke just told me, he was basically left cornered. I'm having a feeling that taking out five Imp--wait, what? How does he know about Imperium? Wasn't it supposed to be "classified" information?

"Did you say Imperium?" I asked.

"Yes, why?"

"How do you know about it? Who told you?"

"Everybody knows it---they're literally the bad guys. The TYB was formed to wipe out people like them." He replied.

What was the point of keeping the conversation in the Principal's office a secret, then?

"Say, what is the procedure to join the TYB?" I asked.

"There are two ways---Either you apply for it, and get selected, or, you become really strong, and get directly recruited, while still being a student. Either way, you need to be good at what you do... Be it fighting, or as a support."

"Would minors also be allowed to join?"

"Depends. If they're really, really strong, then they'll be given a chance---of course, they can decline if they want to. But, most parents wouldn't allow their underaged kids to be part of something so dangerous."

So they basically recruit alumni, or students. Either way, only people associated with this academy. That means...

"Say, do you know of Harumi Akane?"

"No, never heard of that name before. Who's she?"

"N-Nevermind. Anyway, I'm heading out for a walk. You coming?"

"Nah, I'm planning to play some video games now, so you go ahead." He replied.

"Okay."

As soon as I opened the door, I saw a person walk by---it was Utsumi. What--?