Chapter 21: The Nine Muhaijin

Next morning, Wednesday, in class.

I tried my best to find a way to contact Henry, but to no avail. He sure is laying low, for a founder. I have quite a number of questions to ask him, specifically about my father. Plus, with the whole story about Kuroiyurei, a.k.a the Black Ghost, I'm starting to feel like I'm genuinely part of some crime scene investigation. Besides, if you look at it in a way, then my ability is actually more useful for such tasks---I could even become the world's greatest detect---nah, not interested, really.

"So, joining any clubs, Ryou?" Yosuke asked.

"Ah, n-no. Not for now." I replied.

I can't tell him I've joined Utsumi, and become part of a cursed club. This has to remain confidential for as long as possible. Obviously, we're going to be found out.

"I'm planning to join the CQC club---it's the best place to learn some extra tricks for battle. And also, I can use the techniques I'll be learning in Advanced BT." Ayase said.

"Oh yeah, you took Advanced Ability Theory, right, Ryou? You were in such a hurry, trying to access the registration portal last night." Yosuke asked.

Instantly, I glanced at Utsumi---he had a smirk on his face.

"Y-Yeah. I replied.

"Well, good luck, then. I heard it's super tough. Plus, with Brett-sensei, it might even be a nightmare." Yosuke implied.

I checked my PDA for today's schedule---Advanced Ability Theory was the first period.

Just then, Brett-sensei entered.

"EVERYONE, STAND UP! BOW!" Tsujihara shouted.

"Good morning, students. The students who opted for Advanced BT-Practical are to assemble in the open field. The rest are to stay here." Brett-sensei informed.

Majority of the students---21, out of 28, left. Only 7 of us? Yosuke wasn't kidding.

"Few students, as expected. So, welcome to my subject, then. Since it's a relatively small audience, I shall also be combining another class--- Class 1-2, with you all. They also have very few numbers in Advanced AT." Brett-sensei said.

"Combine!? With 1-2!? What the---"

Just then, 5 students entered the classroom---4 girls, and a guy.

"Well, why don't you all introduce yourselves, then?"

"With all due respect, sensei, it's better to commence the class. Acquainting can come later." One of the girls said.

That was rude. She's acting all high and mighty.

"Uh-umm, very well, then. Take your seats." Brett-sensei said, with a confused expression.

"Who is this girl?" I whispered.

"Miura Rika. Best to just know her name. I wouldn't be too friendly with her." Tsujihara replied.

"All right, as you all know, this subject deals with much more detailed information than its normal counterpart. In AT, you learn about the different types of powers, like, contact-type, and such. This is no different, except---We'll be learning of ways to use and to counter these powers."

"Counter? As in?" Tsujihara asked.

"Usually, contact-type power users are at a disadvantage against non-contact-type users. For example, if a person can see through walls by touching them, and there are none on the battlefield, because it's a sandy area, then what? They'll be dead in no time. Any guesses as to how that person will survive?" Brett-sensei asked.

"Considering that he'll have a jacket on, since it's a sandy area, it can be temporarily used as a form of shield from the attacks. These jackets are quite durable, aren't they? Plus, since he can see through things, he can cover himself up from the front, including the face, to protect himself for a few moments." Utsumi replied.

"W-Well, very far-fetched from what I was expecting, but not wrong either. Good. See, it's that simple. You can learn more about using your powers, and create your own offensive and defensive strategies. But in order to do that, you need to study about your powers carefully."

This is interesting. So, Ability Theory is the study of powers, and Advanced AT is the implementation of it? Isn't too hard to understand. It's similar to Battle Terrain, but BT only teaches us combat techniques for defending ourselves, when at a disadvantage, due to the environment. This one teaches us various ways of using our power, to turn the tides. Impressive. I can see why it'd be useful for research.

"Plus," sensei continued, "You'll also be learning about rekishiya in detail."

Finally. What I've been waiting for. Utsumi and Tsujihara seem ecstatic about it, too.

"And, you'll---hold on, I've got a call. Hello?"

Throughout the 5-minute call, he had a very shocked expression, as though he'd seen a ghost. My best guess is that it was from Principal Yuriko, regarding Akane. He's also part of Rank-3, if I'm not wrong.

"I-It seems I'm being summoned for something urgent. Class dismissed." Brett-sensei said, while leaving the classroom.

"What a boring class. Boring subject as well. No wonder research hasn't progressed in all these years." Utsumi implied.

"I thought you asked us to take this subject. What's wrong now?" Tsujihara asked.

"I never said it'd be good. I only implied it'd be useful. I already knew that the level of Advanced AT here was crap, but I didn't know it was this boring. Moreover, I still can't see much difference between this and Battle Terrain. They're trying to keep us away from research as much as possible."

"Was the Red Snow Massacre really that traumatizing to these people?" I asked.

Both Tsujihara and Utsumi stared at me.

"Okayyyyy..." I sighed.

"You all look ridiculous. Then again, you two are Tsujihara's friends. Foolish of me to expect anything." A red-haired girl said, while being accompanied by three other girls from behind.

"Ignore her. She just wants to pick a fight."

Utsumi didn't pay any heed. He got up, and stood right in front of the girl.

"You talk a lot. Shut up."

Everybody looked shocked as hell. I'm having a feeling she's some super important person, with her lackeys, and all. Utsumi might not know about her.

"S-Sit down, Takashi. That's enough. Ignore." Tsujihara said, panicking.

"Who the hell are you, you red-haired blob? Can't you see I'm talking to them?" Utsumi said, in an angry, yet calm tone.

"B-Blob!? Y-You don't KNOW ME!? Miura Rika?" She asked, shockingly.

"No."

"I don't know if you've been living under a rock, or if you're being sarcastic, Takashi." Tsujihara said.

"I don't know her either." I said.

"She's one of the 9 Muhaijin. And, she's undoubtedly the strongest first year."

"Glad to see that you finally know your place, Fumika. You have, after all, lost to me countless times." Miura said.

"Muhaijin?" Utsumi and I asked together.

"They're the strongest students of this academy. She's the only first year among them." Tsujihara explained.

"Officially the strongest, right?" Utsumi stared back at Miura.