Give Me Away (Part 1 of Three Sections)

Guilds and wizards.

*Lucy's POV*

Okay!

Today's the day! Today's the day I ask him. Don't be scared Lucy. You can do it! He won't deny, right? I mean he wouldn't...right?

Well, there's only one way to find out.

     I swung open the doors and desperately called his name.

     "Gray Fullbuster!"

     All heads turned to me. Including him, the one I needed to talk to. He looked at me surprised, well I did barge in unexpectedly and shout his full name. "Uh Gray, can I talk to you...alone?" There were whispers throughout the guild, except Natsu who only grunted. Gray looked at me hesitantly, but slowly nodded. I walked out of the guild, motioning him to follow, closing the doors behind him.

     We walked to a nearby tree to make sure no one else would hear. "So uh what's up Lucy? Is something wrong?" I shook my head, "heh no, why would you think that?" He looked at me a bit concerned, "well you did yell my full name to the entire guild, so I was just checking." I looked at my shoes wondering what to say next, how could I ask him? What were the right words? Would he deny me? Would he accept and be happy? Or would he agree out of pity?

     "So...what did you need to talk about Lucy? Or did you just want to hangout?"

     I must've been quiet for too long. "Oh well, can I ask you something?" He nodded his head for me to continue. "W-Well I want....I would like...um...well...can you...uh........never mind...just forget it actually." He looked at me, "Lucy are you sure? You can ask, I won't mind whatever it is." I shook my head and smiled, "no it's okay. Really. You can go back, sorry for calling you out like this." He stood up straight and thought for a moment, "c'mon let's go take a walk." He walked off before I could say anything, so I followed.

     We ended up at a park. It was pretty empty. "Lucy." I looked at him surprised for bringing me out of my thoughts. He continued, "what do you think of FairyTail?" What do I think of FairyTail? I think many things of it, all positive of course. How do I explain it? "It's an amazing guild. I knew that before I joined. But what surprised me, was how strong it was. I think FairyTail is a home, not just to the members, but to anyone else. Everyone is welcomed to a family that holds strong connections. It doesn't matter who you are, or what your background is. I find that most unique about it." He hummed in response, "so what do you think of the people in FairyTail?"

     The people?

     "Well, I think they are the parts that keep the guild standing. Everyone in FairyTail treats each other like family. It's doesn't matter who you are or where you came from, if you become a member, then you're family. I enjoy how the members treat each other with love. They trust each other, and they take care of each other. They create bonds. I think that's what makes a guild."

     He was quiet for a moment, then he stopped walking. He looked me straight in the eye, "exactly. We're members of FairyTail. We'll look out for one another. So why won't you ask me your question? It seems like it's bugging you Lucy. Of course I'll be worried."

     I looked at the sky. The sun was still high, the evening was rarely close. Even when the sun goes down and it gets dark, it'll always come back up the next day.

     "Gray."

     "Yes?"

      "We met when I joined, that was 12 years ago. We were frozen for 7 years, so I've created a bond with you through 5 years. We're on the same team. We go on missions together. We always talk and it's not weird. You and Natsu are the only guys on the team. Overtime, I've began to trust you more and more. I'd put my life in your hands and I wouldn't be that nervous. When things get rough, there's always people there for me, to comfort me, and sweet talk just so I could feel better. But you're that one who is straightforward. You don't lie or give me false hope. You're stern with me, you know I can get through it. You see the backbone in me that no one else does...my dad past away when we were missing. He wasn't able to see me grow up. I guess after he left, I realized you were like a father figure to me. One who I could lean on when I truly am scared. One who could make me feel safe."

     He stood there confused, "what are you saying Lucy?"

     I turned towards him determined. I need to do this. I need to do it now. I reach for him and hugged him. Squeezing my eyes shut, wishing, pleading for the best.

     Silence consumed us.

     Neither talked.

     He hugged me back. Waiting for me.

     How long has it been?

     He long will he wait?

     Say it.

     Say it Lucy.

     What will happen if he denies me?

     What will I do then?

     We'll just have to see.

     "Natsu and I are getting married. I want you to give me away."