The Date That Didn't Show Up (Part 1)

No guild or wizards.

*Natsu's POV*

     Lucy and I have been together for quite a while now, not in a dating way, but as friends. We live by each other so we always walk to school together, and walk back together. We're best friends, no one can split us apart.

     That is until she told me she has a date.

     I was waiting for her by the front gates of the school, we were going to walk back, but she was later than usual. I saw her in the distant coming towards me, I picked up my bags ready to go. But then I saw him. She was walking with someone else, she was laughing and smiling. I love her laughs and her smiles, but for some reason, I got this uneasy feeling seeing her smiling with someone else. She walked up to me so I brushed it off.

"Are you ready?" I smiled at her. I grabbed her bag to carry it for her, becuase it's what I always do. But this time was different. This time when I walked away with her bag, she didn't follow. She stood in the same spot, with the guy I'm not acquainted with. I turned around and looked at her. She knew I didn't have to ask for her to give me an explanation. She read my expression well enough.

"Uh Natsu, this is Jacob." She hesitantly titled her head and smiled at me. I walked back towards them and gave a little nod towards Jacob. "Hey," was the only word that came out of my mouth. I looked at Lucy and turned to walk towards our houses again, but she stopped me. "Nastu...um you can go back now. I'm going to stay a bit longer with Jacob. You can just drop my bag off at my house. And tell my mom where I am so she doesn't freak out."

Am I...am I hearing her right? I looked at her one more time, and I realized that I wasn't misinterpreting. She does want to spend time with him, she wants to smile with him, and laugh with him. Lucy isn't the kind of girl who throws herself at any possible guy.

So to her, he's probably not just any guy.

I nodded at turned away. I thought I heard her say my name, but I didn't want to chance it. I walked home at a fast pace, trying to get my mind off of these feelings.  I felt....mad? ...sad? I'm not exactly sure, but I don't think it's a good thing to know.

     I brushed the feeling away. Lucy is my friend, why shouldn't I support her getting a relationship? Maybe it's just not knowing whether he's a good guy or not? That's got to be it...right? My thoughts faded away when I was at Lucy's door.  We practically grew up with both of our parents, they're like my second pair of parents. I walked into the house with the key they entrusted me with. "Hi Natsu! How was school?"  I smiled at my second mother, "it was fine, really nothing new." She smiled and made me a sandwich, "where's Lucy? Didn't she come home with you?"  I shook my head, what do I say? No, Lucy is out with another guy who knows where. No. I can't say that. "Well she wanted to spend some time with a friend of hers, so I came back alone. I stopped by to drop off her bag since she asked me to."

     "A friend?" I nodded my head. She continued, "who is he?"

     "Jacob is his name, wait, how'd you know it was a guy?"  She sighed, "you're easy to read Natsu. 'A friend' isn't going to be some girl especially with the look you had."  I noddingly agreed and continued eating my sandwich. Did I really make an expression to show it was a guy? I didn't think it was going to be that obvious.

     "Does she like this guy?"  I looked up, "I don't know. Maybe. This is the first guy she's actually hung out with, besides me." She shook her head and sat down by me. "What's wrong?"  She laughed and waved her hand, "nothing. It's just I always hoped that you two would get together. I know both of you so well, and if it were any guy, I'd put my daughter in your hands. So would Lucy's father."  She giggled and got up again, "but things just don't go the way you want it. Well, I fed you and learned some new things. Now go home and see your mom. She'll call any second if she doesn't know where you're at." I smiled and nodded. "Ok. Thank you, I'll come by tomorrow." She nodded and walked me to the door.