43: Caught

"I'm really sorry for being absent for almost a week, children. But I hope you still studied your notes while I was gone."

"It's ok ma'am! We're glad you're already well!" Kenji, yes that Mohawk guy that once challenged Tao and failed, told the professor with a disgustingly sweet voice. Yeap, he's kind of a teacher's ass kisser. I've heard some words that it's one his way to pass his subjects even with insanely low exams. An unfair system, I know, but it's how things go in here.

"You did study in advance, right?" Lay whispered towards me, and I nodded. "So that's what your 'school papers' were about. I thought you were hiding something from us."

He chuckled and set his eyes back to the front, and I only managed a forced smile. This feeling. Guilt. I can't believe I can lie to them like this. But no Maeji, don't give up. This is for the sake of Gwen. Just a little more sacrifice, until I help her escape whatever it is that's keeping her locked out of happiness.

As soon as the bell rang, the students rushed outside like little birds getting freed for the first time. As Lay and I went out, we saw our professor get bumped by a student, making her drop the folders she was carrying. The papers came sliding everywhere. Just then, Kenji passed by, and she kind of expected him to help her since it was impossible for her to miss right in the middle of the hallway. But he pretended not to see anything and walked off with his friends.

"What an ass," I grumbled under my breath and ran to our professor's side. Lay and I helped her with the papers.

"Oh thank you so much! Such nice students you are!" She patted our heads while trying to balance the heavy bundle with her other arm. "Now if you may excuse me, I have to go back to the faculty."

Faculty? Did she say faculty? That's on the 4th floor! Maybe I can meet Gwen while I'm up there!

"Oh ma'am, let me help you." I grabbed about 4 folders off her arms.

"No it's ok—"

"It's nothing. Plus, these are too heavy. I want to help you."

"I'll come with you," Lay was about to grab a few folders too, but I stopped him.

"No, you can go ahead. This won't take a while anyway. Maybe I'll cross paths with Xiumin or Luhan on the way back." He just stared for a few seconds, before finally nodding. I inwardly sighed in relief. We separated at the staircase as he headed downstairs, while the prof and I headed up.

"You must be a really brave girl to be able to befriend the Hellion Brothers." The prof suddenly commented, making my brows furrow.

"You know about them?"

"Of course dear. Teacher's aren't that blind." She chuckled. "They're such handsome young men. And very nice, too. Too bad they forced everyone to be afraid of them. Kind of an incomprehensible move, if you ask me. But they must have a reason for doing that, right?"

"They forced everyone... to be afraid?"

"Oh, you don't know?" Her eyes shifted to my nametag as she set the folder down on her table. "Cha Maeji? Now that I look closely, I see that you're a transferee. If then, it's not in my place to tell you that. I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask them."

She sat down and motioned to me that I can go. "Thank you for accompanying me anyway. I hope your friendship stays strong."

She smiled sweetly, and I forced a smile and bowed. My brows remained furrowed as I went out of the faculty room. Was she pertaining to the one Luhan told me, the day when Kris dangled Kenji at the edge of the rooftop?

"Psssst....."

Obviously, the students would be scared of that, but that couldn't be called "forcing," right? I mean, it's their choice to distance themselves, unless the HB's actually did something more, and Luhan left it out in his story.

"Pssst! Maeji!!" Someone suddenly grabbed me as I was about to descend the stairs and dragged me to the 5th floor. My eyes widened as I realized it was Gwen.

"Omo I was hoping to see you but I didn't expect to actually see you!" I squealed as I gave her a power hug.

"What are you doing here? Are you going to eat lunch with me?" The sparkle in her eyes were just so beautiful, but too bad I had to destroy it so soon.

"I'm really sorry Gwen-unnie, but I just accompanied a professor to the faculty."

"I... I understand," she forced a smile and squeezed my hand. "Maybe sometime? I'm sure it'll happen if it's meant to be."

"Of course it will be meant to be!" I forced a bright smile to at least lift up the mood. "I'll make sure to bring a lot of delicious foods then. Just tell me what you want and I'll make it happen!"

"Maeji?" A male voice suddenly called from downstairs. Before Gwen could even hide, there appeared Kai from the staircase. His brows were furrowed as he looked at me, wondering why I was here. But when his gaze shifted to Gwen, his expression turned grim. Panicking, I glanced at her, and she looked so flustered as if she was caught red-handed in a crime.

"K-Kai! Um, t-this is..."

Kai harshly grabbed my wrist and started dragging me away.

"Wait! Kai, she's my friend!"

He whipped around and looked at me with dark eyes. I froze. He was... furious. I have never seen Kai this furious. "She. Is not.  Your friend."

"But Kai—"

"You will NEVER meet with her again, understand? NEVER, Maeji!" He started dragging me again and I tried to wriggle free. His grip was seriously starting to hurt.

"This is unfair Kai! You don't know how—"

"Oh I know exactly everything." He laughed, but for some reason, it only scared me more. I couldn't pry my eyes away from his dark gaze.

"That girl, that Gwen that you're calling your friend?" He pointed a stiff finger towards the staircase. "She's one of the reasons why Kris left us."

* * * * * * * * * *