Chapter 49

Beckett's P.O.V

Once I'm out of Emitt's eyesight, I pull myself against the nearby wall of the hallway as I try to catch my breath.

Taking deep, staggered breaths I look at the wallpaper with blurred eyes. I sink down as my trembling legs gave out below me, my body suddenly too heavy with the weight of past dilemmas dragging me down.

Why did Emitt have to chase this subject so hard? Why couldn't he just let me be?

Maybe we should just tell him? - Tobias says in a low whisper.

He'll run - I reply burying my face in my hands.

It'll break him - He corrects making my heart contract. He'll keep digging until he finds it out from someone who isn't you.

I'm scared Tobias.. - I reply in a disheartening whimper.

Me too - He replied before fading away without another word.

It seemed like every time my parents rolled up, new problems appeared alongside them. I knew I couldn't blame them but I couldn't help but wish that they didn't come.

How would I even start this conversation with Emitt? It'd end with him in tears, locking himself in a room as he blamed himself for my own decisions.

The loud scream of my mother, calling for my presence makes me sniff a bit as I stand quickly, ignoring how shaky my legs were. I take deep breaths as I wipe my tears away, trying to pull myself together. I knew it'd be hard to get through this, but talking to Emitt after would be much harder.

Goddess help me.....

---------------------

I say my final goodbyes to my parents, mustering up a smile somehow to hide the fear in my eyes. I didn't want to talk about it, to ever relieve it, but I'd have to.

"I hope we see you all soon." My father says hugging everyone without hesitation.

"That's be nice." Emitt says softly, his eyes didn't meet my father's but I knew it took a lot out of him to say that. My dad seemed to appreciate it as he smiled widely in response.

"Until next time then?" My mom says after pinching Amelia's cheeks softly.

"Until next time." I confirm giving her a weak smile. She squinted slightly, sensing my discomfort, I give her a nod to ease her. She returns the gesture, though a bit skeptical before pulling my dad away with some final goodbyes.

Walking inside after closing the door, we don't bother to make small talk as we walk further into the house.
Amelia walked between us quietly, her eyes darting between the two of us nervously. No doubt picking up on the tension between the two of us.

"Daddy." She calls gently, as if she was scared to disturb the uncomfortable silence.

"Yes baby." Emitt answers with a smile as he squats down to her level.

"Can I go play with Damon?" She asks making our eyes widen in shock. She hated that kid more than Aiden hated Julian back in highschool.

"Why?" I ask trying to process her request logically.

"Because you and dad need to talk." She says offering us a heartwarming smile. "And I don't want to trouble."

"Oh princess, you don't have to go." I say gently as I run my through her hair. Sometimes I forgot how old my little girl was with her uncanning maturity that exceeded her age. How she sensed the mood of people and acted without hesitation in everyone's favour.