Chapter 14

After grabbing Pestilence's ring, the gang grab a bag of drive thru food courtesy of Dean. Grace snacks on some sweet potato fries while Sam looks disgusted at the both of them. "We just defeated the horseman of sickness and the first thing we do afterwards is eat??" Sam groans to them.
      Grace smirks, "that's nothing, you wimp."
      Sam sighs and rubs his face. The both of us chuckle and continue eating. "You still have to check if my other parent is in town," Grace reminds them and Dean groans slightly.
      "It's always one thing after another," Dean gripes and stuffs fries into his mouth.
      Sam smirks softly and looks to Grace, "can't you sense all the people in the city?"
      "Well this parent is a human so I need DNA tests," Grace looks to him, snacking on the fries.
      Sam and Dean look to each other then glance to Grace. "Seriously?"
       "How am I gunna know who my parent is by soul or last name? My papa never gave me hints of my other parent."
       Dean sighs, looking to Sam then to the road. "That makes sense.." Sam says while rubbing the back of his head.
       "Well?" Grace raises an eyebrow to the brothers.
       "I don't know how we're going to get everyone's blood in this city."
        The brothers exchange glances then focus back to what they were doing before. Grace looks in between them then back to Sam. "Fake blood drive? We could start with a few people at a time...?" Grace suggests.
         It seems like these brothers kept secrets with everyone around them. "Possibly," Sam whispers, looking off.
        "You okay there, Sam?" Grace asks, hearing Sam's thoughts more so than his brother's.
        "Yeah, I'm good,"
        Grace didn't believe him. She could hear his messy, clouded head of thoughts. She leans over and whispers into his ear, "Want a DNA test?"
        Sam seems to raise his brows and looks over to her. Grace taps his temple and smiles a bit before leaning back. Dean noticed and gives Sam a strange look, but don't say anything. "We'll figure it out in a bit, let's just head to Bobby's and tell him what's going on." Sam tells them and Grace huffs, looking out the window.
         Dean nods and drives back to Bobby's.

                         • • •

         Later that night, Grace lays in her bed at Bobby's. A spare room with a twin bed, a few bookshelves  and random items everywhere. An old pin board with broken string and folding paper hanging off of it on the wall. Her bag sits beside the small bed as she looks out the window.
          Grace can't help but feel upset that they didn't look for her parent today. She really wants to meet whoever it is, but at the same time she doesn't. She just wants someone in Gabriel's place as her parent. She sighs and hugs her knees.
          Just then, the door creaks open slightly and she turns her head towards it. Sam is peering in and nods to her, knowing exactly what he means. She throws off her blanket, hopping up and walking over to him.
        "Sneaking out?" Grace whispers as Sam walks out to a spare car.
        "Getting the DNA tests," Sam tells her as he hops in the drivers seat, allowing her to sit in the passenger for once.
        Grace nods and rests her head back against the seat. She hums along to the radio as Sam drives off. The quiet tension rises as they make there way into town. "So," Grace starts, "why?"
        "Why what?" Sam questions back.
        "Yanno, getting the DNA test with me without Dean knowing."
        Sam sighs and rubs his face with one hand, "Honestly? I don't know."
        "Oh really?"
        "Yeah, really."
        "Alrighty, Samman."
        Sam chuckles a bit, "Your dad used to give my brother and I nicknames like that,"
        "Yeah?"
        "Mhm, Deano was Dean's,"
        "Yours was?"
        He hesitates, "I don't really remember."
        Grace nods and looks at the scenery decorated with trees. The moon lit up the surroundings, barely. The town lights lit up the road and stores more than the moon did. The town was vacant besides the stumbling drunkards that left the bars full of neon signs.
        The car halts to a stop and Sam turns the engine off. "Ready?" He turns to Grace.
        "Whenever you are, Sam,"

       "What do you mean it'll take a week until we know?" Sam urges the woman over the desk.
       "The results for figuring out if the DNA matches takes a while. The earliest is 5 days and the latest is 10," The woman tells him calmly.
       Grace looks to her hands. This place was unnerving and uncomfortable. Tests and finger prints? No thank you. She'd rather settle for a plain open field than this testing facility.
      Sam walks over to her and sighs, "Let's go,"
      Grace nods and rushes out to the car. Finally safe. She hops in the passenger seat and Sam slides into the driver's side. "So, the thing is, Dean and I have something going on soon and there's a chance...we might not come back,"
       Grace blinks, "Might not come back? You're kidding right?"
       "I'm not sure, Grace. It's just that, we've been gone for periods of times before, but I don't know this time around."
      Once she finally starts adjusting, they leave. Tragic. "So?"
      "Stay at Bobby's place for the next few days or a week, please?"
      "Fine, but you're just like my papa. You know that right?"
      He sighs again and starts up the car, "I know,"

{A/N: Happy Holidays!}