Chapter Thirteen - Jeiku Okamimuto

There's pain in my head, a light in my eyes, some beeping noise, and the air smells like medical supplies. The hospital...of all places I end up, it's the hospital. It could be worse, I suppose. After the blur in my eyes clears, I inspect the room spotting Nevin and Leon sitting on a tan, cloth couch beside my bed.

"What happened?" I ask as I struggle to sit up with a spinning head.

"Glad to see you're awake!" Nevin says in a high pitch voice.

Leon walks over to the bedside. "It seems like that blow to the head scrambled your brains...well, more than usual."

I bring my hand up to the bandages around my head. "Blow to the head?" For some reason, I can't remember what happened.

"Some lady found you in an alley a few miles from where Dante and I were and called an ambulance." Nevin stands up and walks to the other side of my bed. "She said something about some gang attacking you. You were lucky someone found you."

"Lucky isn't the word," I utter under my breath. "Wait, where's Rin?"

I panic, pulling at the bandages wrapped around my head. "I was supposed to take her to the hospital when these guys in suits showed up."

Leon holds me down. "Stop that before you do more damage. Last I heard she was fine. Now calm down before the nurses come in here wondering why you're acting crazy."

Nevin smiles while patting me on the shoulder. "Hell yeah, we still need you! Our squad wouldn't be the same without you."

Leon looks at Nevin out the corner of his eye. "What, you can't handle standing at the gate without your buddy?"

I ignore them both for a second. Pieces of what happen flash through my mine. I was in an alley before I was knocked out. Some guy was there as well, maybe one of General Michael's guards. If only I could remember who was there with me.

"So why was I in that alley?" I ask.

"Who knows?" Leon shrugs. "Maybe that hot head of yours got you into a fight you couldn't win."

"I guess, but it doesn't make much sense," I say, looking up at the ceiling.

"I know you Okamikiins like picking fights, but the Sonnie family isn't one to mess with," Leon says.

I open my mouth to speak, but the words stay in the back of my throat. Leon isn't wrong—about the Sonnie family part. That doesn't stop me from trying to protect Rin. Out of nowhere, Sasame walks in wearing a junior nurse uniform. The knee-length pink and white dress shows almost as much of her legs as the overly short school uniforms. And boy does she have some great legs. For a second, I swear she winks at me. Out the corner of my eye I see Leon and Nevin staring as well.

Wow she's cute. I trace her body with my eyes starting at her feet and up to her face. She's staring right at me with fire burning in her eyes and her orange brows pressed together. I swallow hard before giving a small laugh.

Sasame rolls her eyes at me then turns to Leon.

"Leon, Nevin, I need to check on Jeiku to make sure his head is okay." She smiles, but it looks more like she wants to kill all of us. Leon looks over at Nevin and nudges him on the shoulder with his elbow.

"C'mon, Nevin. Let's go get something to eat."

Nevin looks at Leon, then at Sasame standing next to the bed. "Oh, okay I got ya." He winks before getting up following Leon out of the door.

"Like what you see?" She says once we're alone. She does a cute little turn to show off.

I swallow hard again. "Umm, yeah...well I mean you look nice."