Chapter Six - Sasame Kai

A week without dealing with missions or following orders is just what I needed. My arm healed leaving a light scar—something I can cover easy if needed. Omi didn't waste any time giving me new orders just in time for the new school year.

I take my time getting ready and making sure everything is in order. It's not the first day for me, but it's the first day for my new "orange haired" identity, and I want to make a good impression.

To be honest, I would rather do anything else than go back to Monanie. This mission isn't what I would've jumped at if I had the choice. I much prefer stalking my targets one on one.

Freshly showered, I put on Monanie's required uniform. The gray plaid skirt seems a little ordinary—and short—for an academy based on training teenagers to defend the city. At least the white button down top covers more skin.

I stand in the mirror smiling to myself as I spin around to check my appearance from all angles.

"You look beautiful, dear," a voice coming from my balcony window says. I freeze for a moment and then relax after realizing who it is. I refuse to even think about how long Omi's been watching me. Pervert.

"Don't try to flatter me," I respond without looking away from the mirror. "I'm just following your orders."

"Remind me what my orders are, please."

I roll my eyes. "I am required to attend Monanie Mahou and Fighting Academy in order to hunt down the students that are on my list."

"I knew I could count on you."

I ignore him. There are only a handful of students at the academy on the immune list so I doubt I'll be assigned there for long. Part of me questions why The Organization requires so many donors. After the blood is drained and some of their bones are harvested, I wonder what The Organization does with the rest of the bodies. For all I know they could feed it to feral Okamikiin. I doubt anyone would willingly sign up for that sacrifice. I learned a long time ago not to question this, but still, it piques my curiosity.

Omi leaves the same way he got here—through my balcony. He acts like he's too good to use doors.

My shoes squeak as I jog down the wooden staircase toward the front door. Avoiding contact with the annoying neighbors, I stride down the front steps of my townhouse. The sun, low on the horizon, peeks through the skyscrapers of the downtown area.

Children dash past me toward the elementary school with their parents close behind. One little girl turns to me with a huge grin, which I return. I hope she never grows up to be someone like me.

The chattering of the crowds of students and adults at the academy hits my ears from a block away. Groups of friends meet in the courtyard, under the warm, bright sun. New students still clinging to their parents and older students chatting with their friends approach the building for the new school year. The old, four-story, stone building with tall marble pillars looks quite inviting. Along with the large "Welcome" sign hanging over the front door.

Parents of new students stand waving goodbye. One mother holds her teenage daughter in a tight grip. Streams of tears roll out of her eyes and onto the girl's uniform. I'm stuck between wanting to roll my eyes and feeling sorry for the mothing. The academy is all about training except for the normal classes like history, but it's not like we're in any danger here. Joining the Eradication Squad is optional even if they do hang recruitment banners everywhere. The parents are overreacting with all the crying and hugging. We'll be back at home in eight hours.

Although I do wonder what my parents would've done. My mother would've hugged me and my father would've given me a talk about studying. Yet I doubt either would cry like I was going to war. Would I have bothered to join the academy if they were still alive?