"But we have accomplished the mission nonetheless," Durley uttered, gesturing at Sophia and the child.

The men looked at Sophia before facing Durley and Ralph again. "And the others?" someone asked.

"Right where we left them," Ralph said.

"Bracelets," the man said without asking another question.

Their bracelets were taken off their wrists without words. The child started to cry once more when the heavy metal door swung open and they entered the empty room, burying her face in Sophia's shoulder, shaking with fear.

Ralph looked behind them as the door to the outside world slowly closed and they were left with naught but two other Passage Guards. The opposite door that led belowground opened and Calan Haverston walked out, accompanied by two Leaguers Ralph could not identify. They left Calan's side to present papers to the two Passage Guards, leaving Ralph and his group alone with Calan.

"You have been gone longer than seventy-two hours," Calan Haverston said, stopping before Ralph. "But we are willing to overlook it, considering your mission is a success. We have already acquired the location of the facility through your bracelets and Leaguers are currently on their way to Holystone as we speak."

Ralph turned to study Durley's reaction. Was Thorne still at the facility? If yes, then it would not do Durley good, should Thorne be found out, considering he was trying to win over the Trilbys. "I hope they get there in time," he said, eyes still on Durley. "I am afraid we left a few guards inside a cell and they could have found a way to escape by now."

"The men left at the same time you arrived. I am certain they must already be there," Calan said. His eyes went to Sophia and the child. "Now they merely have one more problem to solve."

Ralph frowned. "They?"

Calan lifted one shoulder in a shrug. "As I have made a vow not to be involved in the slave case, this shall be the last I will interfere." He motioned at the Leaguers who were talking with the two guards. "Their task is far from over."

Ralph nodded in understanding. "I know."

They waited until the other two Leaguers returned to Calan to say, "They are all clear to pass."

Calan nodded and stepped aside. "Very well," he said, looking at Ralph, Durley and the others. "Welcome home, my friends."

*****

"What did he mean when he said their task was far from over?" Alex whispered to Ralph as they made their way toward the carriage that awaited them belowground.

She heard Ralph's long intake of breath and Alex turned her head to look at him. She suddenly missed how he looked in the bright sunlight. Down here, his face was shadowed. His eyes were focused ahead where Sophia and Durley were guiding Gwyneth into a carriage. "They have to find the other passage."

Alex instantly understood. The slaves passed another passage to be delivered to Holystone and back again to be with their owners belowground.

There are more, she thought. Holystone was merely one of the many Osegod and his accomplices utilized.

Ralph took her by the hand and led her to the other carriage behind the one that carried Durley, Sophia, Gwyneth and a Leaguer. Calan Haverston rode with them and they discussed everything that happened in Holystone with Ralph excluding details of Thorne's presence in the facility.

Hours into their journey, Ralph drew close to the window and looked out. With a frown, he turned to Calan. "This is not the way back to Willowfair."

Masterful Trickeryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें