V. A Guard's Promise

Three years ago...

"That man's been starin' at ye, Alex," Barto whispered beside her.

Alex's attention was drawn away from the lavish party. She turned to follow where her cousin's eyes were focused on and he found the same Everard brother looking at her from where he was standing at the other side of the ballroom.

Her heart began to skip as their eyes made contact.

"He's bleedin' comin'," said Ned.

Alex panicked. Yes, the man in question was indeed crossing the ballroom.

She turned and hastily grabbed Ned by the arm and hissed, "Where's Ysa?"

"There," Barto answered for his brother.

Alex craned her head and found the newlyweds standing at one corner of the large ballroom.

"He's comin', Alex," Barto warned again.

Alex walked away as fast as she could as she now had inkling as to who the Everard brother might be.

It must be the Guard one. He looked younger than the rest. It must be him.

She ought to escape. Fast!

*****

It did not take long for Peters and the Guards to unlock the doors with the help of the servants.

And it surely did not take them long to discover Ralph sitting on the floor with a curtain cord tied around him.

"Good Lord!" the footman uttered in horror. Ralph ignored him and focused on the butler who seemed almost ready to faint.

"Where is Nick?"

"S-still inside his study, I believe, my lord," the butler replied.

Ralph nodded. "Good. Do be certain to keep it that way." He snapped his head toward Peters who seemed stupefied, seeing him on the floor. "Untie me."

The Guard accompanying Peters moved forward and immediately worked on the cord, muttering in disbelief how the knot was too tight.

Once free, Ralph immediately jumped to his feet but swayed, still feeling the effect of the blow.

"What the bloody hell happened?" Peters demanded, looking around the parlor. "Do not bloody tell me—"

"I'm afraid whatever you are thinking is correct," Ralph murmured, unsteadily walking toward a chair.

"You let her bloody escape?" Peters demanded, following him.

"As you have noticed, Peters, I was bound."

"You—"

"And I suggest you climb your horses and chase after the minx!" he growled at Peters. "She should not be too far away."

The other Guard was already out the door.

One footman rushed into the parlor, panting and frantic. "One of the horses is missing!"

"Good Lord!" answered the footman beside the butler.

Ralph closed his eyes and groaned.

"She must have not gone too far," he said, addressing Peters.

When no answer came, he opened one eye and realized that Peters had already left. And that he was alone.

He jumped to his feet and went to the window. He peeked through the curtain and saw two horses running away from the estate.