XXII. Family, Friends and Bandits

Three years ago...

"And what of your mother?" asked Ralph.

He recognized the same look of longing in her eyes as she shrugged and said, "My mother has long passed away, my lord."

Ralph nodded and leaned on his hands to look up, staring at the empty darkness up above them. A passing wish of visible stars came to mind as he continued to gaze. He would love to have the stars as witness to this very interesting encounter with this woman.

"She died when I was very young. I barely have memories of her." Her words surprised him. She willingly gave him information he thought he would have to beg for. He turned his head to look at her and found that she was smiling at him. "You ought to feel lucky that you lived until you were old enough to remember enough of your father."

She was not merely beautiful and wise, she was also very observant, Ralph thought. "I am grateful for the time I had with my father," he said, "but one could always wish for more, yes?"

A flash of sadness crossed her eyes before she blinked and looked away. "Yes, perhaps you are correct."

*****

"Oi!" Ralph heard Alex shout before he let out a big sigh. Although he would want to know what was happening, he thought it would be best to wait for a little while longer. But he prepared his pistol if need be. He carefully looked out the window to see what was happening.

He was not surprised when he saw her face to face with two older bandits. But it was curious that she was not killing them yet. As a matter of fact, Alex was sharing a strong handshake with one of them.

"What are ye doin' 'ere, lass?" asked the bigger man.

"As ye can see, I'm workin'," she replied, gesturing over her shoulder at the carriage. Ralph immediately pulled away from the window to lean back against his seat.

"Workin' as what?" the other of the two men asked with suspicion. "And wearin' a bleedin' dress?"

"Deliverin' me father's goods?" Alex said with uncertainty. Ralph's mouth opened in disbelief.

"Goods?" asked the man.

"Aye," Alex uttered. "Ack, bleedin' hell. I'll tell ye the truth if ye promise te keep yer mouths shut, aye?"

Ralph tried to hear Alex's next words but she was talking in whisper.

"Ah!" the men said. "Prove it then, lass."

"W-what?" Ralph heard her ask in panic.

"Prove it. Let's meet the man."

"B-but we're in a hurry—"

"If yer marryin' the lad, we must see who, eh?"

Ralph shifted in his seat. What the bloody hell!

Yet before he could even wrap his mind around what was happening, Alex was pulling him out of the carriage.

Ralph stumbled out and was face to face with the two bandits, their faces expectant but doubtful, even suspicious.

"What—" he started to ask but Alex grabbed him by the back of his neck and pulled him down. The next thing he knew she was kissing him in front of the two bandits.

And then it was over.

And Ralph was dumbfounded.

And the two men were laughing.

"Ah, ye are yer father's daughter!" said one of them, slapping his companion jovially.

Alex was grinning at them. "Now, now, ye two keep this quiet, aye?" She moved closer to the two men in a conspiratorial fashion. "Me 'Pa dinna want me marryin' this man."