XXV. Three Leaguers

Three years ago...

The amusement was apparent on her beautiful face.

"What seems to be amusing, fair maiden?"

She scoffed at the moniker. "I am no fair maiden, my lord."

"I shall be the judge of that." He squeezed her hand as he turned them around in tune with the music. "Now, tell me what is amusing."

She shook her head. "I simply cannot believe I am dancing with a Town Guard."

"And that is amusing because?"

She shrugged. "Because my cousins would be horrified. My father and his brothers as well."

Ralph's brows furrowed. "Why so?"

A secretive smile touched her lips. "Just so."

"You are beginning to make me utterly nervous."

"Rightly so," she retorted fast.

Although Ralph would love to delve further into her statement but fearing it might lead to the end of this dance, he chose to think of a different question and enjoy this closeness she allowed.

"Have you ever been kissed before?" he boldly asked. It would have still led to her stepping away from him, but somehow Ralph knew it was a question she would take as a challenge.

"Why would I answer that?" she asked, face bare of any hint to the answer he was seeking.

How many men had she allowed to be this close to her, he wondered.

"Truly been kissed. Have you ever?"

"Truly been kissed?"

Her curious eyes mesmerized him. "Yes."

"Perhaps no is the answer," she so honestly provided. "How is it like?"

Ralph's eyes hovered over her moistened lips. Was she taunting him? "I also wonder, but I wager it is magical."

She scoffed, dismissing his romantic display of words.

Grinning like a total fool, Ralph could not take his eyes off her lips.

There would be more time to discover this wonder, he promised in his mind.

*****

Despite what Alex and the ton may believe, Ralph had had very few mistresses in his life.

There were lovers, yes, but not many of them led to a point of Ralph arranging an estate for them. Nor had he ever considered keeping them for long as most of them would have hoped for.

Yet now, as his body became one with this woman, with his Lady in Blue... with his bandit, Ralph merely did not wish to keep her for long. He wanted the time to stop. He wanted it to stop because he knew that while he drugged himself with this woman, others were waiting for most of his time—to save them, to protect them.

For once he was being selfish.

He willed time to cease running.

This was a moment worth revering. Every touch was a tiny speck to remember, every drag and rub a sensation to treasure.

He had never been a patient man, yet he was willing to wait forever until the pain of his first thrust waned from Alex's face. He gathered the remaining of his control, reining them tightly until her whimper turned into a sigh of passion.