XX. Somewhere Somehow Safe

Three years ago...

"Would it hurt your secret so much if I inquire about your father?"

The surprise in her eyes was evident although Ralph could not entirely speak for the short glint of something that crossed those beautiful globes. Her lips curled into an adorable, secretive smile.

He thought she would avoid the subject, but she shrugged and uttered, "My father is not very much like you, my lord."

"Then I am only grateful. I do not wish to be like your father. I wish to be something else."

He thought he heard a scoff escape her throat. "I meant like you and the rest, my lord."

"He is not a man?"

She obviously did not like the question. "No, he is a man in every way I can think of." Her eyes darted to the path that led back to the estate. Ralph almost panicked. Was she thinking of leaving? Her eyes returned to his. "One could say he is not as honorable."

"What does that imply?"

One shoulder lifted. "He stands on what he believes and most often they do not reflect that of many men."

"Hm. Your father is as interesting as you, I should say."

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. Did she find him pathetic? "My 'Pa could have you on your arse before you could relay such statement, my lord."

A woman who did not care to use vulgar words. Ralph was even more intrigued!

"Which makes him even more interesting."

"I do suggest you do not entertain the idea of wanting to be in his presence, my lord."

"Whyever not?"

The mysterious, mischievous smile returned. "Just because."

*****

Alex hurriedly pulled the curtain close and rushed out of the bedchamber to find Ralph.

He was making his way down the corridor, probably to find her, with a curious look on his face.

"Why were you laughing with—" Seeing the look on her face, he stopped. "What is the matter?"

Alex kept walking, grabbing his hand as she passed him and dragged him with her to the nearest door she found. It turned out to be another bedchamber.

"What in the hell—"

"Has he found 'im yet?" she asked, whirling around to face him. "Close the bleedin' door."

Ralph blinked in confusion. "Who—you mean the caveman? No, Cole is yet to find—"

"Nae, nae, nae!" she said, pacing around the small room, hands on hips. "We must leave town, guv."

"Yes, but we do not know where—"

"They know I'm 'ere, guv," she interjected.

Ralph immediately knew the cause of her alarm.

Before he could ask the question, Alex supplied the answer. "A man was standin' 'cross the street from me bedchamber merely moments 'go, guv. I'm tellin' ye, he was lookin' up at me—right at me!"

She was almost breathless at the last word, only to hold her breath much longer as she waited for Ralph's response.

What he did next was very instant that Alex was taken aback.