XXIII. The Caveman

Three years ago...

The music inside the ballroom changed into a waltz.

Ralph stared as the beautiful woman beside him smiled at the sound of the music.

As if spellbound, he asked, "What will I have to do to know your name?"

She turned to him and scoffed. "Are you not getting tired of asking?"

"Perhaps I should ask my sisters."

She vehemently shook her head. "They shall never tell."

"Then perhaps I should kiss the answer from your lips."

Her eyes widened at his bold words. And then she chuckled.

To his surprise, she jumped to her feet and whirled around to stand before him. "My kiss is not for free."

"It is not?"

"You will have to pay for it."

*****

"You are truly odd," Ralph said to Alex, breaking the silence inside the carriage.

Alex frowned. "How many times d'ye have te say that?"

"As many as I could," he retorted with a shake of his head. "You demand for payment every time I kiss you yet you provide me with a punch and a kiss as change."

Alex rolled her eyes. "I don't have anythin' te give, guv."

Ralph leaned against his seat, arms crossed over his chest. His lips curved into a sneer. "You kissed me, bandit. Why?"

"Ack!" Alex huffed, turning away. "I'm regrettin' it, guv."

"Come on," he taunted, lightly nudging her foot with the tip of his boot. "Why did you kiss me back, Alex?"

Alex appeared to have no interest in providing a reply at first but she eventually snapped her head to look him in the eye and say, "Because I wanted te."

Ralph was completely taken aback. He was almost certain Alex was not the kind to admit anything like it. He blinked and swallowed. "And?" he could not help but ask.

Her frown deepened. "And what?"

"Did you enjoy it as well?"

"I was pressin' ye against the wall, aye? That's answer enough, ye oaf."

Ralph crossed his legs, growing uncomfortable at the reminder. "Yes," he carefully replied, "but that was before I took over and had you pinned on the same wall. I should say I enjoyed it more."

A flash of something, raw and hot, crossed her beautiful grey eyes. "Aye, but 'twas 'fore I pulled yer shirt from yer breeches, guv. I was likin' it more."

Ralph swallowed the growl that threatened to escape. Moistening his lips and cocking an eyebrow, he retorted, "That was before I unbuttoned your dress halfway, bandit."

"Nae," she said, swallowing hard, "'twas after I took me hands under yer shirt."

Ralph was the first to give up with a loud groan. "Bloody hell, woman, simply tell me you enjoyed it."

Alex grinned with victory. "'Cors I did, guv. I woulna 'ave dreamt of it if I didn't."

Ralph wiped the sweat off his temple. "But you walked away."

She shrugged. "I dinna find any use te continue. There's no bed in sight."

"Bloody hell," he growled, clenching his fists. "If you do not stop, I might pull you over my lap right now."