XVII. Growing Search

Three years ago...

"Tell me your name," Ralph asked and he feared his tone sounded very close to begging. "A name and I promise never to ask for anything else."

A hint of a smile twitched one corner of her lips. She was beautiful. Her beauty was not merely attributed to her outside appearance, but how she moved and the glint of something in her eyes. It was how she looked at him. It was with each twitch of her lips, the flutter of her eyelids, the movement of her shoulders... It was her.

He had to know more.

"I do not have a name to provide you with, my lord," was her answer. She said it not in the same way as other maidens would in their attempt to tease or dally. She said it in a way that told him she had no intention of providing him her name because she simply had no desire to. "Is it of too much import to gain such information?"

But Ralph was not one to be deterred. He widened his stance and placed his hands deep in the pockets of his trousers. "Then perhaps you shall allow me the privilege to know something else."

"Such as what, my lord?"

"Oh, many other things I could later use to gain what I truly want," he mysteriously replied. "Would you like to begin?"

As he looked at her, he knew he was going to win. She would either have to provide him with a name or play this game.

Lady in Blue smiled at the challenge.

*****

"This yer 'partment," was Alex's simple comment as Ralph led her up the dark staircase.

"Yes, and you shall stay here until I make certain it is safe to venture on. Let us hope that Osegod would not believe you will continue to stay here."

"Venture on. You mean findin' the caveman." When he did not say a word, Alex stopped and turned to look at him. "But we must look fer any information 'bout the bandits in that office, guv. We ought te come back while yer fellows are preoccupied, see?"

"Preoccupied looking for the prisoners we used to save you?" he asked, shaking his head. He gave her a slight push to continue up the stairs. "Fret not, someone is already doing the very same crime you are suggesting."

"But who—"

"Do keep in mind one very important detail, Alex," Ralph interjected, this time in a very serious tone that made Alex pause in the staircase once more. She looked at him and found that he was intently looking at her. His hand had grasped her upper arm in a firm hold as if he was afraid. But what was he afraid of? To fail in finding the caveman and Sophia? Or to lose Alex to Osegod? "They will not cease looking for you until Osegod is taken down." Their eyes locked in the darkness, Alex unable to form any word. "Do you understand? Your life is in danger wherever you may go and it is my task to keep you alive. I brought you here and although you may believe you are under my employ and chose to place yourself in this situation the responsibility to keep you safe is mine. I would not appreciate any impetuous actions from you for I do have too many loose ends to fix, this night being one of them."

Alex cleared her throat and nodded. What else was she to say? He was correct. And although she disagreed that he ought to take full responsibility over her welfare, Alex was quite certain voicing it out would merely lead to an argument. She was very much responsible for her life for it was she who made the decision to help Aurora and it was she who rode Siege to Whiston where this all began.

She nodded and Ralph let go of her arm. He led her to a small bedchamber where her bag was already waiting. The white box containing the dress was on the bed.