Chapter 13

Charlie's POV

As I walked down the steps to the parking lot, I saw that most people were gone. Shaking my head, I unlocked my car and got inside. Screw this place and everyone in it. 

I threw another rock into the water. I've been on a three hour run, and I stopped at this stream in the woods. This is what peace sounds and looks like. As I made it down to the house, I felt less stressed and angry. After checking the messages, I went up and showered.

The water was nice on my skin. As I washed my body, I looked at the scars across my skin. Small and large, superficial or very deep, thick and thin, any difference in the scars. All of these are from my childhood, my whole life story is written on my skin for all to see. Sighing, I stepped from the shower after turning the water off.  After getting dressed, I made my way to the kitchen and made myself some chicken tenders and fries for dinner. 

I sat and ate my food while watching TV in a darker room. The clock read about 8:23 when I cleaned up and made my way upstairs to my room. There wasn't much homework, but it was enough to keep me up until around 10:30. Not wanting to deal with having my light shut off anymore, I just did it myself before slipping into bed, falling asleep.

The phone ringing woke me to a start. Groaning, I stood up and made my way into the hall and down the stairs. When I picked up the phone, Violet's voice was quiet and worried.

"Someone's in my house. It's just me here at the moment. The person sounds scary..." My heart sped up.

"Give me ten minutes." I said gently, she took in breath and got quiet. I muted my end just in case, but I listened to her end as I threw on sweats, grabbed my keys, and ran out the door. 

"Hurry up." Her end cut out.

Her house is twenty minutes from mine, I made it there in almost nine minutes. When I parked in her driveway, I saw that no cars were here except hers. How were those people able to get here? They would have had to run here....wolves. I kept my car running, and made my way to her front door. Someone had smashed the locks to gain entry. Lights were on throughout her house, my heart was almost in my throat. I heard growling come from her father's office, go to our hiding spot.

I was silent as I made my way to our childhood hiding spot. No one could ever find us three when we hid here. It was safe in the hiding spot. When I opened the door, she went to hit me, then calmed when she saw it was me. Holding my finger to my lips, she nodded and followed me. 

"There's one car here, meaning someone has to be here." A man snarled at his companion. "Check upstairs while I look." He snapped, that's when I watched some scary looking guy walk past us and our hiding spot. When he was gone, we snuck our way downstairs and out the front door. She had her go-bag with her as she got into my car.