Chapter 8

Charlie's POV

Matthew needed to calm me down before I sent Fire Crotch out the window. I gripped onto him for grounding. He kissed my head and we stood here until I was completely calm. How dare that Brick insult my brother like that! He has no right!

"Come on, Charlotte. It's lunch time right now, do you want food first?" I shook my head sighing. "Okay, I'll show you around first." He opened the door to the hall for me.

"Sorry." He chuckled, smiling.

"I think Michael tries to make up for it. You're not the same as you were six years ago, Princess." He spoke gently as we walked around. I hooked my arm with his, holding onto him. "I'm proud of you." He opened another door for me. "You didn't jump to beat the person this time." I smiled, laughing.

"I'm bad about that, Matty. I know, and I am sorry for being-" I thought with a sigh. "well, a rogue." He tsked and nudged me.

"You aren't. He was wrong to say that. Your actions are predictable and always justified." He and I walked slower. 

Most all of the rooms he showed me were managed by a handful of people. That's not smart, that's how you get leaks. 

"I can see the wheels spinning." Matthew's voice was always calm with me, I also think he felt bad because he lied to me for two months about his job. "Speak up."

"This just isn't run correctly. He wants a new system, but if he were to change the way this building was run, he'd eliminate half the mess." Matthew laughed genuinely as we made our way back to the lobby. 

"Well, make it a condition of you making the new code." That's smart, Matthew.

"Look at you, Matty." He smiled as we stopped walking. "Do you really have a cafeteria in this weird place?" He snorted and nodded.

"Yeah, it looks like a city building in the woods. Not too discrete, I know." He brought me into his side as we walked. 

"What are you going to eat?" He hummed as we walked, thinking.

"Probably BBQ chicken wrap and chips since you forgot to remind me about lunch." I clicked my tongue at him.

"Don't blame me." He smiled as we got to the massive cafe. Woah. "I don't get your home cooked food, so I try to substitute it, never really matches it though." He put his hands on my shoulders and rubbed them. "What are you in the mood for?"