Chapter 12

Charlie's POV

My day has been somewhat sluggish so far. I woke to an empty and cold bed unfortunately, only to be late for school. At the moment, I am honestly contemplating punching someone in the face. Kaine and Luke have made it public knowledge, shocking many people. Right now, I'm listening to some random girl mouth off to Luke. 

"It's honestly disgusting how you two are. That's just wrong." She caught Luke, Vi, and I outside during our lunch break. Luke and I were talking about one of his projects in his Wood Working class for his art credit. He couldn't figure out the correct way to make the prototype. We were stopped when we passed the main field where cheerleaders were hanging out and sports players were hanging out for the last thirty minutes of lunch, we get an hour to hang out. 

"Excuse me?" Luke said gently, not wanting to start anything. He hates being confrontational. I knew her words hurt him. He was sensitive, but extremely sensitive about Kaine. Vi stood there in shock, then turned, grabbing Luke's arm gently.

"I didn't stutter, Lucas." This girl snapped, crossing her arms. "You've corrupted Kaine entirely. Before this summer he was normal and fine. After this summer, he came back a faggot." She growled. A male friend of hers came jogging up, touching her back.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." He was out of breath. She kissed his cheek smiling, ignoring what she had said to Luke. My heart rate picked up when he started speaking. "You actually told Luke he's a faggot?" He looked at Luke laughing. This kid seemed like some start soccer or lacrosse player. 

"I did actually, thanks for asking baby." Her voice was like nails on a chalk board.

"I mean, not sorry Luke. Kaine was normal before he started f****** you. I'm sure it's just a phase. It's probably just some prank he's playing on everyone, including you." The boy's words were bitter, as if he believed the words entirely. Vi glared at the two.

"Does it make you feel important?" I snapped finally. The girl and male looked at me. The girl looked me up and down before scoffing. How dare they?

"Look who's talking, Chubby Charlie?" The boy laughed. The girl snickered as if it were funny. "Although, you look decent know, maybe someone would actually f*** you now." He challenged me.

"Babe, look what she's wearing." The girl laughed with attitude. "Who wears that?" She motioned to my sweatshirt and camouflage joggers that looked like combat pants. I had on Converse with them and I thought they looked okay. My body was sore from constantly fighting and I was exhausted. Too exhausted to deal with this right now.

"Look what you're not wearing." I growled at her. "Clothes." Vi snickered at my comment. We had been passing through the middle of the field to cut down time and effort spent walking, meaning people surrounded us. "I suggest you walk away while you still can."